Sunday 11 June 2006

Sunday 11 June 2006
WORLD CUP 2006

Yes, I had to mention it. England's campaign kicked off yesterday (Paraguay 0 - 1 England), and you're either embracing the 5-week event or steering well clear of everything. I have no great passion for football and don't support any clubs, but I am quite a patriotic person so enjoy watching England do well in the big tournaments. And it doesn't get any bigger than the World Cup.

So can England take the trophy for the first time since 1966? Well, possibly. But we always say that. We've always supposedly got "the best team we've had", but then suffer crushing defeat thanks to some terrible injury of a star player, or the cruelty of a penalty shoot-out.

I hope we win, but I won't be surprised if we don't. Particularly when you take a look at the sort of opposition we have -- just check out the skill of Brazil's Ronaldinho... and when you've managed to scrape your jaw off the floor... things will get in perspective!