Thursday 29 March 2007

Thursday 29 March 2007

LIFE ON MARS

I watched the first episode of a great TV show called Life On Mars over the weekend. What's that sniggering? Series TWO is on now, you say? You're kidding! Oh well...

Life On Mars is the time-travel cop drama where modern-day policeman Sam Tyler (John Simm) is hit by a car in 2006 and wakes up in 1973. From thereon it's a fish-out-of-water police procedural as the 21st-century copper gets to grips with the sexist and violent rozzers of the 70s.

It was good stuff, actually. I never got into the show last year for one simple reason: the title. I thought it was a documentary about aliens, so gave it a miss! By the time I realized its premise was more original than the usual BBC yawnathons and the title was actually a David Bowie track, I felt like a latecomer and didn't bother watching.

For this reason, I still point to Life On Mars as a great example of a bad and misleading title...

I don't think I'll be buying the dirt cheap DVD box-set in HMV, but I might check out Episode 2 if it turns up on Virgin's On Demand service.

What's the general feeling out there for Life On Mars? Is it sustaining interest now it's in series 2, or should it have been a one-off mini-series?