Monday 20 March 2006

SPIRAL - My TV Pilot Script

Monday 20 March 2006
Hi, welcome to my blog! Glad you found it amongst the gazillions of others on the web!

Hopefully you'll find it interesting and bookmark me... but if not then then sorry for wasting your time! This little journal should atleast provide ME with a creative outlet. ;P

So what's the deal? Well, I'm an aspiring screenwriter living in the UK who has been self-taught for the past 10 years now. I have a few How-To books on the subject (Teach Yourself Screenwriting, Write & Sell The Hot Screenplay, etc), have devoured hundreds of articles on the 'net, and read plenty of screenplays from websites such as
Drew's Script-O-Rama and Simply Scripts.

I've just never had a proper attempt at getting something submitted and read by a professional...

But, I hope to change all that this year with a one-hour drama script entitled Spiral. It's a pilot for a science-fiction TV series (yeah, 'cos the world needs more of those, right?). But there are no robots, spaceships or time-travelling vehicles in sight, trust me. Not that they're a bad thing, but they're not typically the kind of shows the UK has much success with outside of Doctor Who. Anyone remember Invasion Earth?

Anyway, my Pilot script for the show is being rewritten right now. I've been working on it for about a month already, so unfortunately this blog will not recount the trials and tribulations from Day One... but never mind. I'm also unsure about revealing too much about the premise in a blog for fear my obviously wonderful idea will be plagiarised. It's the kind of paranoia that fuels most writers.

So for that reason, perhaps this blog really will end up being impenetrable for all of you to read... but rest assured it will also provide lots of media-related fun anyway (news, information, links to interesting articles, the usual gubbins!).

What can I tell you about Spiral without giving too much away? Hmmm. Well it involves the following: amnesia, the end of the world, nanotechnology, "zombies", survivalism, conspiracy and a "secret society" (of sorts).

In style it's basically Lost-meets-24. By that I don't mean real-time is involved, but it won't be leaping forward in time by days/weeks each episode. Things will unfold one day at a time. Well, that's the plan should a miracle happen and a script reader passes it up the corporate ladder. I'm a realistic person. I know it rarely happens. But, hey, I don't want to have never tried.