Thursday 24 May 2007

THE (ALTERNATIVE) APPRENTICE #6

Thursday 24 May 2007
After losing the week's task, Tre brings Jadine and Lohit into the board room with him face the wrath of Sir Alan...

Sir Alan: The task was simple; you had to choose a product and sell it to traders. But you blew it. Tre, you're always saying how amazing you are, but I'm not impressed.
Tre: Sir Alan, the task wasn't well planned, I accept that.
Sir Alan: What was the strategy?
Tre: Um, well, Simon wrote down some numbers for us to ring and we rang them.
Sir Alan: And..?
Tre: And... um, after that we just did our own thing. Freestyle, y'get me?
Sir Alan: Running around like headless chickens at 2pm, you mean?
Tre: No, not at all. It was half-one, at the most.
Sir Alan: Lohit, you're a bit quiet. What do you think happened?
Lohit: The phone list I was given was rubbish. It was terrible. Half the numbers didn't work and the other half were just random digits, I think.
Sir Alan: What makes you say that?
Lohit: One of the numbers was 111222333.
Tre: I think Simon accidentally leaned on the keyboard.
Sir Alan: God help us. Jadine, what have you got to say for yourself?
Jadine: It was all bad communication, Sir Alan. I mean, we didn't even know what packaging the reheatable bunnies came in!
Tre: There was no packaging.
Lohit: We didn't know that!
Tre: You should have gone to the two-hour meeting we had then.
Lohit: I was wiping Jadine's tears.
Sir Alan: Hold on -- what?
Tre: Jadine had... personal issues, uh... whatever, whatever... woman's problems, innit.
Lohit: She was missing her family.

Sir Alan sits back. Nick is writing something on a sheet of paper.

Tre: What are you writing, man?

Nick looks up, alarmed. Sir Alan leans over for a look at his paper.

Sir Alan: Very good, Nick. But I think Tre's beard isn't quite right.

Nick nods, returning to his work, tongue poking out.

Tre: Is he all there?
Sir Alan: Never mind him. Now, did Jadine's home sickness cost you the task?
Lohit: Well... it didn't help, no, but I understand her situation because I'm a great guy.
Jadine: Can I just say, I asked Tre to let me be in his pair because I missed the meeting. But he refused.
Tre: I wanted to be with my mate Simon, so?

Sir Alan exhales, thinking...

Sir Alan: Lohit. Y'know, I think you're an intelligent person. You can certainly speak for yourself.
Lohit: Did you think I was a ventriloquist?
Sir Alan: I just mean your vocabulary's good. You say "because" not "cos", stuff like that. But, where will you fit into my company?
Lohit: In some menial management position, like working on cosmetic products or recycling projects, like the previous apprentices?
Sir Alan: Hmmm. Tre. You messed up her, didn't you?
Tre: I accept that, yes. It could have gone better. It just wasn't my day.
Sir Alan: Still, you've contributed to lots of tasks in the past and you're a bit of a funny character. Good for ratings. So I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. You can thank me later. I like single malt scotch.
Tre: I am the greatest, what can I say?
Sir Alan: Now. Jadine. I sympathise with you missing your kid, but it shouldn't get in the way of business. I also vaguely suspect you might be a nutter after reading The Sun, so... you're fired.

Jadine wells up with tears.

Jadine: Thank you...

She gets up and heads for the door. Sir Alan looks tearful. Jadine leaves. Sir Alan looks at Tre and Lohit.

Sir Alan: Not nice, is it?

They shake their heads like school kids in front of the headmaster. Nick shoves his paper under Sir Alan's nose.

Sir Alan: What's that?
Nick: The Cutty Sark, Sir Alan. In flames.
Sir Alan: Are you feeling alright?

Nick stares fixedly ahead. Cape Feare-style music.