Friday 31 August 2007

The Red Planet deadline is today!

Friday 31 August 2007
Ohhh, God. It's here.

The deadline for the Red Planet Screenplay Competition is only hours away! I've been hammering away on my script in August, inbetween copious blogging and work -- because I do actually earn a living!

I've paid particular attention to the first 10 pages, because that's all you submit to the judging panel. I hope to get the remaining 45 pages written and polished in September, ready for October... if I'm fortunate enough to get through to the next round.

I think my opening 10 pages are entertaining and intriguing, but I know where the story is going, so I have a big advantage over cold readers! I'm pretty sure they're good enough to make people want to read the rest. Which is obviously the intention!

I have no idea what anyone else is submitting to Red Planet, as you can send anything into the competition. My script is a TV pilot for a supernatural teen drama series --but not in an overt Buffy The Vampire Slayer way. It's more restrained. Imagine Donnie Darko mixed with Freaks & Geeks and American Gothic.

Anyway... I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm fully prepared to hear nothing back and spend the winter grumbling to myself. The good thing about being a pessimist is you can only be pleasantly surprised...