Sunday 23 September 2007

Hi-diddle-dee! An extra's life for me!

Sunday 23 September 2007
I got a phone call from Universal Extras saying I'd been successful in my application to become an extra for The Young Victoria. My costume-fitting was today at 3pm, so I drove up to the T.A Centre where it was being held...

Inside, an assortment of people were sat in plastic chairs waiting, huddled in groups having a chat, or wandering around dressed in 19th-Century coat n' tails or frilly dresses. And everywhere had that wardrobe-like smell of fabrics and staleness, too...

I was processed by a Nice Lady; who gave me a form to complete and a sheet of info about the film, before I joined a small group of people for a natter. Most of them were apparently "dragged in" off the streets to be here, making my e-mailed request last week seem very posh by comparison!

The form was straight-forward enough (name, NI number, phone number, address, etc) and I was amazed to discover we actually get paid £25 for just turning up! In retrospect, I suppose it shouldn't have come as a surprise, because everyone is giving up their Sunday afternoons, but I didn't expect it.

After about 10 minutes wait, I was led into the male changing room and outfitted by a Nice Bloke who was personable and chatty. My new identity was confirmed. I was to become an Infantryman, part of the Royal Artillery, so my costume looked identical to these men's:


After getting dressed up, I was passed on to Hair & Make-Up, where a Slightly Nutty Guy asked me if I'd shave my facial off. I agreed, God help me. Then he stuck some fake sideburns on me and... voila! I was now a 19th-Century soldier. The Nice Lady took my photo twice for their records, and I was free to go.

The specifics of what I'll be doing, where filming will take place, and when I'll be needed, won't be known until tomorrow. But... the grapevine that afternoon suggested Tuesday at Belvoir Castle (pronounced "Beaver" Castle, tee-hee!)

We'll see...