Tuesday 20 November 2007

So much TV, not enough hours in the day!

Tuesday 20 November 2007
There's just too much on...

I can't keep up!

My eyes are going square...

While I'm too invested to stop watching Dexter, Prison Break and Heroes (and Robin Hood is perfectly scheduled for me) -- a number of other shows are becoming difficult to keep up with...

30 Rock? To be honest, it's difficult to review individual episodes of any sitcom – but particularly crazy ones like this US offering, It's also on too late (10.45pm), so could do with a 8pm repeat sometime. Are you listening, Five program schedulers?! I might just watch it irregularly now and not bother reviewing it. But, if you'd like to review it for me -- please get in touch!

Bionic Woman? A growing number of episodes stored up and ready to watch now, but I'm finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm to tackle them. It's just a disappointing show and no episode has excited me yet. I just get irritated with the problems. I might just wait until ITV start airing them now.

Californication? Thankfully it has short episodes for a US drama, but I wish it was repeated at 9.00pm later in the week after its Monday 10pm premieres. Or Five would join Virgin's OnDemand service...

Flight Of The Conchords? I slipped a week behind and have been struggling to get up to speed ever since – forced to download a few episodes as the one I missed slipped out of my week-long OnDemand period. Damn!

Pushing Daisies? Again, I have a few episodes ready to watch, but not much enthusiasm to do so. It's a unique series – but it's a little too syrupy and goofy for its own good. I've yet to see an episode with a story that isn't drowned out by the set-design and whimsical atmosphere either. Might be worth just waiting for ITV's airings in 2008.

Lead Balloon? Yes, the second season of this Jack Dee sitcom started last week on BBC Four. I enjoyed the first, and want to review this year's episodes – but, again, there's not enough time in the day right now! I'll check OnDemand for episode 1 and do my best to blog it.

Sarah Jane Adventures? I had every intention to blog this series, but only managed the first 2 episodes. Why? Well, I'm not conditioned to watch children's telly at 5pm, I never think about the week-ahead CBBC episodes at 5.30pm and the silly BBC messed me up by only putting the CBBC episodes on Virgin catch-up. So they confused my viewing schedule and I never got back into the series. Sadly.

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip? As previously explained, I missed a week and it was never on catch-up. I was beginning to really lose interest anyway at the mid-season point. Has it improved much? I might dip back in when Channel 4 reach the point I ducked out. But don't hold your breath.

X Factor? I made a conscious decision to leave it early this year. It's just too repetitive and manufactured. At best you get amazing talent like Leona Lewis – who may have a best-selling album, but I read a scathing 1-star review about its quality. At worse, you get Shayne Ward – who won 2 years ago and seems to think he's a massive star, but in reality he just has hits in easily-pleased Asia.

I mean, come on, apart from his winning single ("That's My Goal") can you name any of his songs? Has he even charted since Christmas 2005? No, I can do without X Factor and the magical way it has the nation thinking poor-to-average singers are stars-in-the-making just because they're on primetime TV doing karaoke. Besides, you have Kelly Brook and Alesha Dixon in sparkly outfits over on BBC1's Strictly Come Dancing... and you prefer Simon Cowell's waist-high trousers?!

So my apologies if the regularly of reviews for the above shows has been a little lacking, or entirely absent, lately.

And I'm serious about the 30 Rock reviews. If anybody out there wants to submit something, I'd be happy to post contributing reviewers' thoughts. The same goes for any TV I don't cover myself every week. If your review is of a decent quality, and conforms to my general formatting style, ping it to me here.

Thanks!