Thursday 6 December 2007

THE BRITISH COMEDY AWARDS 2007

Thursday 6 December 2007

This have always been my favourite awards ceremony, because it's genuinely entertaining and often very funny. Jonathan Ross' opening monologues are fearless and gut-busting and there's a good chance something controversial will happen (Julian Clary's "fisting" gag, Spike Milligan calling Prince Charles a "grovelling little bastard" and last year's giant python escape, to name but a few...)

So it was a huge disappointment that this year's ceremony wasn't televised by ITV – because of the furore over their phone vote scandal. The event was still filmed, so maybe it'll turn up on TV soon. I hope so.

But, we know who the winners are now:

Best Television Comedy Actor
David Mitchell - Peep Show

Yes, Mitchell does great work on Peep Show. I'm not sure he'll ever be able to progress from there, as he's kind of playing himself, but you can't deny his brilliance at it.

Best Television Comedy Actress
Liz Smith - The Royle Family: The Queen of Sheba

I didn't see this Royle Family special last year, as I'm not a fan of that sitcom, but Liz Smith is definitely deserving of plaudits.

Best Comedy Entertainment Personality
Simon Amstell - Never Mind The Buzzcocks

He's been a breath of fresh air on Buzzcocks after the hateable Mark Lamarr, and easily holds his own against big music personalities and more established comedians.

Best TV Comedy
Peep Show

Definitely! This is the best comedy for years, which is still only a modest hit in TV but a phenomenon on DVD. Now The Office has been consigned to memory, it's great to see Peep Show getting the recognition it deserves. And, after four series, it still hasn't had a duff run -- which is quite amazing for a British sitcom, as they all tend to stagnate around series 3.

Best Comedy Entertainment Programme
Never Mind The Buzzcocks

Purely because of Simon Amstell, this is now a must-see comedy panel show. I just wish they'd get rid of team captain Phil Jupitus and I've yet to see the big appeal of Bill Bailey...

Best International Comedy Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm

I have mixed feelings about Curb. Sometimes I catch an episode, and it's wonderful stuff. Usually, I catch an episode and it's a tedious bore. And sometimes, I catch an episode and it's just awful and convoluted. I don't think the show's the classic people say it is, but it's okay.

Best Male Comedy Newcomer
James Corden - Gavin & Stacey

No comment. I've never seen Gavin & Stacey, as it was trumpeted as a new show on BBC3, so I immediately pre-judged it as bilge. It seems I was wrong, if the awards here are anything to go by...

Best Female Comedy Newcomer
Ruth Jones - Gavin & Stacey

Again, I can't comment directly on her performances in the show, but I do like Ruth Jones. She's so squandered on Saxondale. Will that change now, I wonder?

Best New British Television Comedy
Gavin & Stacey

Wow! Unexpected. Well, looks like I'll have to catch-up with G&S and see what the fuss is about! Is it really that good, or have we had a very poor year for new comedy? I personally can’t even think of any competition...

Best Live Stand-Up
Alan Carr

Nice to see., because I like Carr, and his performance on the recent Live At The Apollo seemed to confirm he's a better stand-up than presenter.

Best Comedy Film
The Simpsons Movie

There's been a Simpsons lovefest at the BCA's for years. Deep down, I'm sure everyone knows the TV show's been crap for over a decade now, but the brown-nosing continues...

The Writers' Guild Ronnie Barker Award
Simon Pegg

Yeah, you don't think of Pegg as a writer, really... but he co-wrote Spaced, Shaun Of The Dead (which is a great script) and Hot Fuzz. He's a very talented guy. His rewrite on Run, Fatboy, Run debatably turned that film into a surprise hit this Autumn, too.

Lifetime Achievement Award
Stephen Fry

Yeah, that seems fitting -- although I hope it doesn't mean Fry's nearing the end of his career. QI is great fun, but it would be nice to see him in something else that's funny soon.


Not a bad set of results. I agree with nearly all of them, and don't have many complaints. I only wish we could have seen it on TV ourselves. Stupid ITV...