Monday 3 December 2007

LOVEFILM/HATEFILM

Monday 3 December 2007
Some of you may remember that I joined the LoveFilm online rental service in September, as part of their one-month trial.

Unfortunately, due to the postal strikes and basic incompetence, my trial period was extended into October, despite the fact I'd contacted them by phone to cancel my account!

Apparently it was because some of my DVDs were not returned before the trial period's deadline. So they debited £15.99 from my account. Bummer. But, okay... I was enjoying the service and had pretty much got my £15.99's worth of rentals in October, let alone November.

However, I made sure my account was closed the following month and all DVDs returned 4-days before the next month's deadline.

Then, last week, I kept getting phone calls from "Withheld" – which isn't the name of some achingly-hip rapper I know, or anything. So I didn't answer these calls for days, until one day I relented...

And it was LoveFilm's customer support, just wanting to know why I'd left their service. I told them "because you bastards took £16 from me because of a bloody postal strike that was out of my control!"

But, you know, in a polite way...

Well, she apologized, blah-blah, and continued her spiel about a new offer they're having at LoveFilm for old customers. Basically, you pay for 1 month and get 2 months service. Not a bad deal, really...

But I grumbled about my disappointment with the fact they deducted £15.99 from me after my free trial, and she offered me a deal: £15.99 and 2 months free. Cool!

So yes, I agreed and they deducted another £15.99 from me. In total, I've therefore given LoveFilm £31.98 for 5-months of renting – which would ordinarily have cost me £63.96 + the free month trial.

No too bad, eh? I'm still disappointed they took £15.99 that second month, but I think they've made up for it now. Yes, yes, technically I've spent £31.98 on a service I joined only for the FREE month trial – but I can live with that.

The service was actually pretty good. The only annoying thing is when you (a) run out of films you want to add to your list and get pestered to add more, (b) add a few films you don't really want to see that much, but feel you have to because you want to get the most out of your month, and (c) if you have a list with 5 new blockbusters and 3 old classics... guess which ones you'll be receiving first in the post!

My first 3 DVDs on the way are Pirates 3, Shrek 3 and Die Hard 4.0. I wonder if Zodiac will ever turn up? That's been a fixture on my list for 2 months now, and it never turns up! Is it that popular amongst my fellows renters?