Sunday 16 December 2007

THE X FACTOR 4: Live Final

Sunday 16 December 2007

I've never been a big X Factor fan, although I did get caught up in last year's show – but only because Leona Lewis was, frankly, the best singer these talent contests have ever discovered. I'm glad to see her album/single doing phenomenally well, and wish her luck with the "difficult second album".

But onto X Factor series 4, which I reviewed for awhile (during the early auditions weeks), before ultimately becoming irritated by its repetitive nature, and my unwillingness to dedicate every week to the long, drawn-out live shows...

That said, I did catch some of the Live Final last night. Now, I was aware of who the finalists were, but my opinions on them are based purely on tabloid news, overheard gossip, and yesterday's performances…

Rhydian (think Gordon Ramsey-meets-Max Headroom) was there, along with brother/sister duo Same Difference and Scottish crooner Leon. It was at least an interesting mix…


Same Difference are cheesy-pop personified. A sickly brother/sister combo forced to sing love songs with each other (which was just wrong), in the shape of Sean and Sarah Smith. I don't think I'm alone in thinking the Smiths were fans of Steps, have S Club 7's television show on DVD, know every word of Aqua's "Barbie Girl", and have memorized the choreography of "The Fast Food Song". Of the three, they were definitely the most shamelessly desperate to win (how many times did Sarah mime for viewers to call?)

Rhydian is the oddball novelty act. He had the best voice of the finalists, but is distracting weird. That said, he would have made a nice contrast with the straight-laced previous winners Leona Lewis, Shane Ward and Steve Brookstein. I'm all for something a bit unusual, and I can imagine Rhydian having a cult following if people buy into him...


Leon was the underdog, as I'm not even aware of him after reading the newspapers all these weeks! To me, he just seemed like a competent, affable young guy from Scotland, with nothing terribly exciting, fresh or different to offer.

So anyway, turn away now if you don't want to know who won…. okay, have you gone? Last chance... right, for those who have stayed or already know: Leon Jackson was crowned X Factor 4's winner. How utterly bizarre!

I think the public just couldn't imagine buying an album by oddball Rhydian, or face the embarrassment of pushing a Same Difference single over the counter at HMV. So Leon won by a kind of default -- he was "safe" and appealed to the kind of viewers who aren't out dancing to music on Saturday evenings, but instead gather with family and friends on their sofa.

And I have nothing against that. What do I care? I wouldn't buy anyone's album. I think Leona Lewis is an amazingly talented singer, but I'm fed up with hearing her "Bleeding Love" on the radio, so there's no chance of me shelling out for her album...

Let's be honest. I saved myself a lot of time avoiding X Factor this year. For anyone who did stick with it, week in/week out, was it worth it? Really?? The blandest singer won. Of the three, at least Rhydian would have been an antidote to the guitar-based bands who dominate the charts these days. There's nobody else around to fly the flag for crazy, visual, bizarre, pop music -- is there?

But Leon? I dunno. Maybe I missed all the weeks when he delivered amazing vocals and performances, but I somehow doubt it. He was very under-the-radar for me, as the newspapers led me to believe it was a two-horse race between Rhydian and Same Difference. Don't you just love the British public, though? I bet some lucky people made a killing at Ladbrokes!

My predictions for X Factor's finalists now:

Leon: probably the Christmas #1 (although it's not as certain this year), an under-performing follow-up single in April, and eventual obscurity like Mr. Brookstein...

Same Difference: a top 10 cheesy hit sometime around March, but they'll be touring Butlins by summer, sharing a billing with Chico and the Cheeky Girls...

Rhydian: a #7 hit with a cover of something a bit weird (but probably with a funny/bad music video), but no lasting success.

Same old, same old...

The X Factor 5 hotline for 2008's contestants is now open. Calls cost: too much.