Thursday 17 January 2008

ON RADAR: I Love You, Beth Cooper

Thursday 17 January 2008

Hayden Panettiere, who once played a cheerleader in Bring It On: All Or Nothing (2006), before going on to play a cheerleader in TV smash-hit Heroes, has been cast in new movie I Love You, Beth Cooper as... a cheerleader!

Ignoring the typecasting issues for Ms Panettiere, this film from director Christopher Columbus (Home Alone, Harry Potter 1), adapted from a debut novel by Larry Doyle, sounds quite interesting...

Hayden will star as the eponymous Beth Cooper, a gorgeous cheerleader who regularly dates high school hunks, but becomes the target for geek Denis Cooverman's obsession -- after he professes his love for her during his graduation speech.

I haven't read the book, but apparently it's perfect rom-com material. Author Larry Doyle used to work on The Simpsons and most of the book's reviews I've read say it's hilarious. It should make a good movie, I think -- even with the workmanlike direction from Columbus.

But, as much as I enjoy Hayden Panettiere's work on Heroes, she really needs to start moving away from cute, blonde cheerleader roles. Don't you think?

I Love You, Beth Cooper is expected to start filming this spring.