Monday 25 February 2008

80th ACADEMY AWARDS: WINNERS

Monday 25 February 2008

No, I didn't watch the Oscars live on TV this year (prior commitments), but I will try and watch the ceremony today – perhaps via YouTube, or something! But the winners are all over the news, so here's who won what – and my brief thoughts:

Best Film: No Country For Old Men
Best Director: Joel & Ethan Coen (No Country For Old Men)

Great choices and worthy winners, and at least we didn't up with the frustrating way Best Film and Director are usually for different projects. That always seems a bit odd.

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Barden (No Country For Old Men)

I don't think anybody can complain too much about these choices, particularly the magnificent Day-Lewis.

Best Actress: Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)
Best Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

I haven't seen either performance, and Marion Cotillard was unknown to me before her BAFTA win. I hear good things about her performance in that film, and Swinton was the best of a fairly poor bunch.

Best Animated Film: Ratatouille
Best Art Direction: Sweeney Todd
Best Cinematography: Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Ratatouille was inevitable, but I'm glad Todd got recognized for some wonderful work, while I was surprised to see Elizabeth won Best Cinematography – as it didn't get much pre-Oscar buzz.

Best Documentary: Taxi To The Dark Side
Best Documentary Short: Freeheld

I have nothing to add, sorry.

Best Editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
Best Foreign Film: The Counterfeiters

I haven't seen The Counterfeiters, but Bourne was clearly a masterwork of editing.

Best Make-Up: La Vie en Rose
Best Visual Effects: The Golden Compass

There must be some amazing make-up work in La Vie en Rose – but did you really expect Norbit to win?! I'm very disappointed Golden Compass for Best Visual Effects, as I don't think it achieved anything very special – as Pirates 3 was a far more invigorating experience visually.

Best Original Score: Atonement
Best Original Song: "Falling Slowy" from Once

I've just seen Atonement and the score is very good, yes – but I wouldn't say Oscar-winning stuff. I haven't seen Once.

Best Animated Short: Peter & The Wolf
Best Live-Action Short: La Mozart des Pickpockets

No idea.

Best Sound Editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
Best Sound Mixing: The Bourne Ultimatum

It looks like Bourne really scooped the technical stuff this year, and I can't deny it was impressive in these categories.

Best Adapted Screenplay: No Country For Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen)
Best Original Screenplay: Juno (Diablo Cody)

Yeah, no issues here – particularly for Juno, although it's not quite the flawless script some think. It's just a very fresh and involving read.


FULL LIST WITH NOMINEES