Tuesday 12 February 2008

My DVD Shelf #2

Tuesday 12 February 2008

The second shelf moves straight onto "D", as for some bizarre reason my shelves are a bit jumbled at the moment. This I need to fix...

Death Proof (2007, dir Quentin Tarantino) I was severely disappointed Grindhouse failed last year in cinemas, so made a point to get its "second part" Death Proof on Region 1 DVD as soon as it was released. I was sorely disappointed. I think this is actually the worst film Tarantino's made, purely because it's so boring and the "thrilling" stunts at the end just didn't get my pulse racing on a TV screen. There are moments of greatness, but they're adrift in a sea of tedium.

The Departed (2006, dir Martin Scorsese) I can't say I'm a huge Scorsese fan, but the man certainly knows how to make intelligent crime-based flicks. I got this primarily because of the Oscar buzz at the time, but I don't think it warranted all that hype. DiCaprio and Damon are fine, Nicholson is kinda cool, but it didn't get under my skin when I watched it. A decent rental, really.

The Descent (2005, dir Neil Marshall) This is one of the best horrors of the past few years, and one that actually works better before the monsters turn up! The sense of claustrophobia is spot-on perfect, and it has one of the best jump-scares I've ever seen. A real treat.

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004, dir Rawson Marshall Thurber) Yeah, this was part of a three-for-£20 deal in HMV, and I didn't really want it. I'd enjoyed Anchorman enough for that brand of humour to suddenly appeal to me, but I didn’t like Dodgeball that much. Ben Stiller was quite fun, but I really hate Vince Vaughan as a performer, and it wasn't that funny.

Die Another Day (2002, dir Lee Tamahori) Not sure why I bought this in retrospect, but I thought it would be more fun that it was. It's difficult to review Pierce Brosnan's performances without wishing he'd been involved in the back-to-basics approach currently being enjoyed by Daniel Craig. Ultimately, this was the tipping point where the writers just went too far with the dumbness (an invisible car?!) and the budget couldn't stretch to its ridiculous set-pieces (the final parachute/glacier/surfing abomination).

Die Hard Trilogy (1988, dir John McTiernan; 1990, dir Renny Harlin; 1995, dir John McTiernan) The awesome Die Hard trilogy, in the superior Region 1 box-set. Absolutely superb in every respect, although obviously only the first film gets anywhere close to classic status. But, I have to say; I enjoy Die Hard 2 a fair bit, and Vengeance was a decent film. This box-set is outdated now with the release of Die Hard 4.0 last year, but I'm glad I bought it.

Dog Soldiers (2002, dir Neil Marshall) This was Marshall's first film, which I bought purely because I'd heard good word-of-mouth. I like to support UK films that are a bit different, and a werewolf versus soldiers film sounded like fun. It has its moments, but I was left disappointed really. Maybe it gets better the more times you watch it, but it's more a half-decent calling card than a truly brilliant debut.

Donnie Darko (2001, dir Richard Kelly) It's almost a cliché to say you like this film and it's a modern cult classic, but it's true. I think I got this Region 1 DVD before the film's cinema release in the UK, purely because of how zany the premise sounded. I loved it immediately. A really brilliant debut that resonates, and stands up to repeat viewings. And I remember months before that "Mad World" song became really annoying at Christmas time.

Don't Look Now (1973, dir Nicolas Roeg) A classic horror, although a bit laborious when viewed through modern eyes. Donald Sutherland is excellent, and there are some haunting sequences. I recommend seeing it, although its various tricks have been repeated so often now, it will seem quite old-hat if you're new to it.

Doom (2005, dir Andrzej Bartkowiak) Okay, I bought this on a whim! I liked the first Doom video-game, but I'm not particularly interested in the gaming franchise. I keep hoping The Rock will become the charismatic action hero he could be, but it has yet to happen. The only reason I got this film was because I wanted a brainless Friday night in – and I got it. Oh, but the POV sequence is pretty cool...

Duel (1971, dir Steven Spielberg) A small, low-budget classic from Spielberg that still works today. It's a solid, well-made, effective little thriller. You can sense the talent behind the camera every step of the. It'll be remade when Spielberg pops his clogs, have no doubt about it...

Elektra (2005, dir Rob Bowman) Ouch. I can't explain it. I fancy Jennifer Garner and she kicks ass in tight red leather for 97 minutes here. What's not to like? It's not too bad, really – just let it wash over you...

End Of Days (1999, dir Peter Hyams) I got this years ago in my DVD infancy, so it was probably the only worthwhile release in a long time. The premise sounded cool, and there was vague hope Arnold Schwarzenegger would be use this as a comeback. It wasn't to be. Mildly enjoyable.

Enemy At The Gates (2001, dir Jean-Jacques Annaud) A really good war film that goes unmentioned in most circles, but I really enjoyed it. Jude Law, Ed Harris, Bob Hoskins. A WWII film from a Russian perspective, with cool snipers. A great Euro-flavoured film; just a shame it's been forgotten about.

So that's shelf #2 done and dusted. A couple of real classics, quite a few embarrassments, a few bad films, and some excellent pieces of entertainment. A mixed bag with a darker feel -- lots of crime/horror related stuff!

Shelf #3 soon, which weirdly jumps back to films beginning with "A"... just to confuse you, and me!