Sunday 16 March 2008

SUNDAY'S SEX SIREN: Michelle Pfeiffer

Sunday 16 March 2008

The former 1978 Miss Orange County first came to my attention in Batman Returns (1992), where she played the slinky, PVC-clad super-villain Catwoman. I was 13 at the time, and I'm not embarrassed to admit that the sight of Michelle Pfeiffer in a tight black cat-suit, wielding a whip, had a big role to play in my sexual awakening. And can you blame me?

She became one of the first movie stars to get me actively seeking out their back-catalogue of work – for salacious reasons, I'll grant you. Fortunately, Batman Returns heralded a resurgence in interest for Pfeiffer at the time, and the TV schedules often played her 80s oeuvre: Grease 2, Ladyhawke, Married To The Mob, Dangerous Liaisons, Tequila Sunrise, The Witches Of Eastwick, and The Fabulous Baker Boys, usually. I thought she was great in all of them, particularly Eastwick and Baker Boys – with her iconic rendition of "Making Whoopee" in a red dress, sprawled across a grand piano.

I didn't find her choice of film roles very satisfying post-Catwoman; as she continued to play beautiful girlfriends of Hollywood leading men, like Al Pacino (Frankie & Johnny), Jack Nicholson (Wolf), and George Clooney (One Fine Day). But I have fond memories of her gutsier role in Dangerous Minds (1995) as a tough inner-city teacher – particularly for her accompanying appearance in Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" music video.

All teen crushes begin to wane, and by the time I'd hit my twenties, Michelle Pfeiffer was appearing with Harrison Ford in What Lies Beneath (2000) and alongside Sean Penn in I Am Sam (2001). My specific interest in her had lessened, but I was still saddened to see her take a hiatus for 4 years... if only because Halle Berry proved how untouchable Pfeiffer's performance as Catwoman had been, after making a dog's dinner of the same role in 2004's spin-off.

But now Michelle Pfeiffer's back, with roles in I Could Never Be Your Woman (2006), musical Hairspray (2007), and as an evil witch seeking eternal youth in Stardust (2007) – a performance that was particularly amusing to me, as in reality it's difficult to believe Michelle Pfeiffer herself is 50 years old next month! See that photo at the top of this article? No, that's not Pfeiffer in her late-80s prime, that's from a photo-shoot just last year. I don't think there's a sexier 50 year old on the planet, do you?

Her good-looks seem to be impervious to the ravages of time -- with her catlike face, big eyes and perfect cheekbones still just as enchanting as they ever were – but she's also an underrated actress. Did you know that Michelle Pfeiffer's been nominated 3 times for Academy Awards; Best Supporting Actress for Dangerous Liaisons, Best Actress for The Fabulous Baker Boys and again for Love Field (1992)? She also won a Golden Globe for Baker Boys and a BAFTA for Dangerous Liaisons.

These days she's happily married to TV producer David E. Kelley, having tied the knot in 1993, and they have one adopted daughter and one 14-year-old son together. I'm really glad she's back on our screens, looking just as glamorous as ever (her beauty eclipsing both Claire Danes and Sienna Miller in Stardust, I might add). I look forward to seeing her in upcoming movies Cheri (a romantic drama), Chasing Montana (a comedy drama written by her husband), and Personal Effects (co-starring Ashton Kutcher; who's clearly a fan of "the older woman", too...)

Name: Michelle Marie Pfeiffer
Born: 29 April 1958
Birthplace: Santa Ana, California, USA