Monday 7 April 2008

The Young Victoria: Coming Soon

Monday 7 April 2008
I noticed on IMDb that The Young Victoria has a UK release date of 29 August 2008 (but that seems to have been deleted now.) Oh well, it'll probably be around that time -- late-summer, early-autumn.

For any new readers to DMD, that's the film I'm in -- starring alongside the lovely Emily Blunt and the surprisingly diminutive Miranda Richardson! Well, okay, I'm not really "starring" in Young Victoria, but I am "appearing" in it as a background artiste. Okay, a lowly extra...

It seems like a very long time since I filmed up at Belvoir Castle. Far longer than the 6 months it's actually been. I'd almost forgotten about it! And anyway, you probably won't see me in it, knowing my luck. I'll be a deleted scene on the DVD.

A guy I spoke to on the set said he was in The Da Vinci Code and filmed scenes as a French detective standing 3 feet behind Tom Hanks. He was very excited. But the scenes were deleted from the theatrical cut. Even worse, he didn’t make it onto the DVD extras either. And because you can't take cameras onto sets, he only has the memories of the day and no "proof" for his family and friends. Shame.

But hopefully I'll make it onto the big screen. I'll either be in the distance firing a canon, or standing behind Victoria's horse-drawn coach on guard. Hopefully I won't be too much of an unfocused smudge! I did make sure I was in camera shot, by edging to my right very slowly. Sneaky, I know -- but I wasn't going to stand to attention for 4 hours OUT OF SHOT! Nuh-uh.

So that's an update on that experience. If you haven't read it already, I blogged about my extras experience here -- from initial phone call to the day of filming. Check it out.