Thursday 29 May 2008

It's all coming to an end...

Thursday 29 May 2008
With the arrival of summer, television takes a noticeable dip. Which is how it should be. We all need a break as viewers, and the cast and crew of your favourite shows could do with some time off, too.

The next few weeks marks The End for lots of shows airing in the UK: the last Pushing Daisies on Saturday, the two-part finale of Lost this Sunday, the last ever Moonlight next Tuesday, Dirt's done in a fortnight, Mad Men finished last Sunday, Peep Show wraps up a week on Friday, BSG has only a few episodes till 2009, and The Apprentice is hired in a few weeks. Only Doctor Who has a sizeable batch of episodes left, with half of season 4 left to air.

The lack of TV shows is going to leave a massive gap in my viewing habits and, consequently, blog posts. So how do I fill it? Should I fill it? Some US shows will be back in September (like Heroes and probably Dexter – yes!), but many others will be gone till early-09.

I suppose there's always Big Brother 9? Is anyone interested in that? Or is this the year when it dies in the ratings? Surely people are totally sick of it now. Even Dermot O'Leary's jumped ship! I can never manage to blog more than a few episodes anyway.

Oh, I know! Mad Men's second season starts in the summer in the US! I could review that, yes But I really enjoyed watching it at UK pace on BBC Four every Sunday, and I'd like a break from it now. So probably not. Best to keep it as a treat for next year.

Do you have any suggestions for how to fill the summer TV gap? Retro reviews of old favourites? An emphasis on film reviews for awhile? Are there summer repeats of brilliant shows I never gave a chance, but are worth seeing – like Dirty Sexy Money? How about reviewing shows we know were cancelled in the US this year – like immortal cop drama New Amsterdam? Is it worth giving Journeyman a whirl?

Recommendations, thoughts, ideas? All welcome.