Sunday 20 July 2008

Further proof Steven Moffat's the best choice to showrun Doctor Who...

Sunday 20 July 2008
It's been revealed that Steven Moffat turned down a lucrative Hollywood deal with Steven Spielberg to become Doctor Who's new showrunner.

Speaking to The Mail On Sunday, Moffat elaborated:

"I know a lot of people won't understand it but I've been dreaming about writing for Doctor Who since I was seven. There are no bad feelings between Spielberg and me, but Doctor Who has to come before Hollywood."

"I was under contract to do the first two of the three Tintin films. I completed the first one and then the Hollywood writers' strike happened and I couldn't work. I was offered the Doctor Who job and accepted immediately. I hope you won't make what happened sound too dramatic."

"I talked to Steven and he understood completely. Steven is a fan and he understood my passion for the series completely."

The two-film deal Moffat turned down was reportedly worth $1 million. His screenplay for the first Tintin movie (a co-production between Spielberg and Peter Jackson) will still be used. Doctor Who's fifth season begins in spring 2010.