Wednesday 27 August 2008

Stars in your eyes

Wednesday 27 August 2008
The eagle-eyed may have noticed DMD now has "star ratings" for readers! Yes, that's right -- you can now "rate" every post on a scale of 1-star (awful) to 5-stars (excellent).

I only intended to make this option available on my TV/film reviews (as interactive feedback), but it was beyond my skill to make the rating system that specific. So, they're on every post published. Which is fine. It means you can show your love/hatred for a piece of reported media news, a trailer, an interview, a web-link, or just my quality of writing! Go mad!

As far as I can tell, the star-ratings are working perfectly on Firefox2/3 and Internet Explorer 6. Actually, in a rare quirk, the stars look better in MSIE than Firefox (less squashed at the bottom, for some reason). If you have MSIE7 or another browser, I'd be grateful if you could let me know if the stars aren't visible, or don't work, in the comments section below.

Finally, the stars aren't visible in my RSS feed -- so you won't see them if you read DMD through Bloglines, Pageflakes, Google Feedreader, etc. You have to visit the actual website to add your personal rating. Hopefully this new interactive addition will prove interesting and fun for everyone. It's quicker than leaving a comment, too. And I'm looking forward to seeing if my own star-ratings gel with my readers!