Friday 16 January 2009

Status, updates and Twitter

Friday 16 January 2009
Sorry to do an update-y post only a week after the last one, but it's gone a bit slow around here lately; well, comparatively speaking. The lack of new television drama/comedy is to blame. That, and the fact I'm working on a few things offline -- for DMD and "real media" (oooh) -- that won't be up for awhile.

Still itching to post my backlog of Chuck S2 reviews, but there's still no sign of it on Virgin1's schedules. I've heard spring mentioned as a premiere date... so that's, what, March or April!? If they can show Sarah Connor Chronicles within two months of Fox's premiere, why not Chuck? If the show's picked up for S3, I won't be waiting for the UK premiere again.

I've finished watching The Wire S1 and I'm currently writing my review. As it's covering a whole season, it will obviously be longer than my usual TV reviews, so that's why its taking awhile. It's not episode-by-episode, but there's a lot to mention. It's also tricky to find anything that hasn't been said elsewhere, as it's very analyzed show! I'm aiming for a late-Jan posting, anyway. Brief review? After all the hype, I thought it was shit. No, no, just kidding.

Star Trek film reviews are coming along well -- finished The Motion Picture and I was halfway through Star Trek II when Khan (Ricardo Montalban) died. I have about 3-4 months to get these done to celebrate J.J Abrams' Star Trek prequel, so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless I put them off until the last-minute, school homework stylee!

Just started watching Sharon Horgan's comedy Pulling on iPlayer, too. It's a great show, actually. I have a few days to watch 7 episodes before it disappears from the catch-up service, annoyingly. Is it available on DVD? Anyway, I can now understand the outrage that BBC3 have axed it. The reason? Pulling doesn't fit the audience demographic BBC3 are chasing (which makes me feel old, as I'll be the same age as the lead character in a few months.) I can understand BBC3's thinking, but it doesn't alter the fact that Pulling is one of the few shows I'd make a point to watch and recommend to friends now. That's not the case for Grownups and Two Pints, is it. I'm hoping to review season 1 and 2 at some stage, ready for the hour finale. Any chance BBC2 could rescue it? Are there people under-25 watching BBC3 who wouldn't watch Pulling 'cos it's about three boozy women in their late-20s/early-30s?

Speaking of BBC3, Being Human is apparently going to start in January, so I'll definitely be reviewing that. A rare example of them making a good choice in taking that pilot to series.

There wasn't much feedback on whether I should review Damages at the US or UK pace, so I've opted for the latter. Mainly because it will help promote the show in my homeland (S1 was curiously overlooked last year), and it's not too long to wait for BBC1's February broadcasts.

Still gonna review Demons every Sunday (you learn more from bad TV than you do good, see), and I'll stick with Plus One reviews every Saturday. 24 reviews at the Sky1 pace every Tuesday, Lost likewise every Monday (starting 26th) and Battlestar Galactica is back in the US tonight. So, a review will be up for Sunday.

As usual, various film reviews will be sprinkled around the blog (Hancock, Hellboy II and WALL-E coming soon). Getting less enthused about writing about Kung Fu Panda as the weeks ticks by. So, maybe leave that. Oh, and Short Film Saturday will continue (maybe not every Saturday, but most). If you have a good short you'd like to see featured, send me a link to an embeddable video.

And finally, Twitter. I'm 30 this year, so maybe this is the start of a snowballing decade-long journey to grumpy middle-age… but, does anyone of similar age use Twitter? If so, can they explain it to me? Are you expected to spend your life handcuffed to a laptop with a wireless connection, posting quick updates on every trivial thing you do? 'Cos that's how it sounds to me!

Twitter updates might be interesting to others if you live a particularly fascinating or exciting life… but jet-setting millionaire playboys and Grammy-winning singers surely have better things to do than type "met George Clooney" a few minutes after meeting George Clooney. Don't they? A few minutes after bedding a Playboy Bunny, would you forego the post-coital cuddle to log-on and tell the world you're lying next to Miss January?

Do normal users of Twitter find that other people are interested that they're "enjoying a ham sandwich" or "about to go swimming"? It seems like a very self-obsessed website to me -- perhaps full of people with an inflated opinion of how valuable the minutiae of their lives are to friends and strangers?

Or am I getting this all wrong? I don't even get why people bother to update their "status" on Facebook or MSN with nuggets like "partying tonight... can't wait! woohoo!!" Are there Twitter feeds genuinely worthy subscribing to? Are there reasons to sign-up I just can't see, or even understand? Or, in 10 years, will everyone be laughing at memories of believing the world gave a shit what they had for dinner?