Friday 27 February 2009

State of reviews, films, Followers and Lenny Henry

Friday 27 February 2009
As you may have noticed, I've opted to drop Free Agents from weekly review (although I'll still be watching it), mainly because I don't feel there's much to say about it week-to-week -- it's filthy-minded, well-acted, nicely directed, rarely laugh-out-loud funny, and will probably remain so for its run.

Life On Mars is on "the bubble" for me (near-inevitable cancellation, an' all), so I'm a week behind the US at the moment. Funny thing is, whenever I get close to calling it a day with this show, they deliver an episode that intrigues me into giving it one more week...

A 48-hour delay sneaking into Mad Men reviews just recently (more so I can give it the attention it deserves), but I don’t have a problem taking 96 hours to get round to Flight Of The Conchords reviews.

Will try to keep up with Damages, as this week's BBC1 episode is the last pre-written review I have. I kinda wish I'd just waited for the DVD box-set again, though.

New shows that will be reviewed: possibly Moving Wallpaper (as I like the zombie idea and comedies are relatively easy to review), season 2 of Breaking Bad (returns to US screens on 8 March) and Primeval (which should be stomping across ITV's Saturday nights soon, I reckon.) Sorry, but I won't be reviewing Law & Order: UK (episode 1 didn't grab my interest, not a fan of cop shows generally.)

Also, trying to do more movie reviews, but my schedule's a bit tight with TV shows right now. I was lucky to have found time to watch and review Eden Lake and The Strangers recently -- a double dose of "ordeal horror". Still got WALL-E, Hellboy II and Pineapple Express on the back-burner. Any preferences for which to do next? The Escapist, RocknRolla and The House Bunny are also in my Lovefilm queue. For anyone who cares, I'm up to Star Trek VI with my plan to review all the Star Trek films, pre-JJ Abrams reboot in the summer -- although Trek IV & V are little more than drafts, if I'm honest.

Blogger have a new Followers feature; well, they've teamed up with Google to "improve" the service. Personally, I think the new widget looks terrible, but the idea behind it is good (you can now follow blogs, even if you're not a Blogger user.)So, if you have an account covered by the Following software, why not register DMD as one of your favourite blogs?

Finally, I was THIS close to getting an interview with Lenny Henry for non-blog purposes, so that was a shame to see fall through. Now having to compile something on the Blue Man Group -- any fans out there?

P.S. Still waiting on Virgin1 to show Chuck season 2, aren't we. Still. After six MONTHS!! Tum-te-tum....trying not to blow a gasket...