Sunday 1 March 2009

Pushing Daisies gets the push

Sunday 1 March 2009

We already know Pushing Daisies has been cancelled in the US, so the subject header isn't very late-breaking news. No, it's just that I've decided to call it a day with reviewing Pushing Daisies. My heart wasn't in this season (owing to the fact I know it's been axed, possibly), and I've found the first five episodes generally tedious. It's still a handsome production, there's great dialogue at times, the actors give it 110%, and there's moments of quirkiness that still hit my pleasure spot... but, really, I've found this season too flat compared to season 1.

Maybe the novelty has just worn off for me? I've also started to gnash my teeth whenever Daisies reiterates its premise in narration or flashback for the umpteenth time (we GET IT already!) and I haven't felt like an armchair sleuth. Y'see, the mysteries are either impenetrable, or revealed to be totally unguessable in the last five minutes. A lot of that is by virtue of its left-field approach (which happened in season 1, too), but there hasn't been any joy in going along for the ride this year. Pushing Daisies now washes over me like melted Opal Fruits, so I can't summon the enthusiasm to actually review it. I will still be watching every Friday (or, rather, recording and watching it Saturday), as I've heard from fans that season 2 picks up very soon... but, sorry, no more full-length weekly reviews from me.