Thursday 28 May 2009

Summer in the Dollhouse; Primeval's partnership plan

Thursday 28 May 2009

Joss Whedon is keen to add Summer Glau to the cast of Dollhouse next year, now that the Firefly actress isn't unavailable because of her commitment to Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Speaking to EW's Michael Ausiello, Whedon confirmed his plan:

"If anybody thinks [bringing Summer Glau onto Dollhouse] hasn't occurred to me already then they have not met me. I mentioned it to her before [T:tSCC] was cancelled. I was like, 'You know, we should get you in the 'house.' But first we have to come up with something that works."

"Summer would be perfect to play an active, but she's done that [type of role] a lot. I'd rather see her play someone who talks too much. The most fun I have is when I get somebody who's good and comfortable at doing something, and then I make them do something else. Summer said to me, 'I would like to play a normal girl before I die of extreme old age.'"

The Guardian are reporting that Primeval's creators, Impossible Pictures, are looking for a digital channel partnership to share the expense of their monster hit Primeval. The agreement would see Primeval debut on a digital station before it arrives on terrestrial ITV, and the Sci-Fi Channel are apparently the preferred choice -- particularly now that they've started getting UK premieres like Knight Rider and Dollhouse. A decision is expected in two weeks, so that a fourth season can go ahead.

It sounds like a good idea to me, but I wonder how badly ITV's ratings will be affected if this happens? Fans with access to the Sci-Fi Channel will no doubt prefer to watch it there early, so hopefully ITV won't be too upset if their weekly ratings drop by a million, or so.