Saturday 30 May 2009

TRAILER PARK: Toy Story 3 (teaser), Dead Snow & Torchwood - Children Of Earth (extended)

Saturday 30 May 2009

What is there to say? I love Pixar and I'm sure Toy Story 3 will be great, but I must admit that the previous Toy Story's have left me a little cold. Well, not cold, just less than ecstatic. I saw the first one in the cinema (way before the hype and awards) and the experience was rather flat. I don't remember their being much atmosphere in the theatre and not many people were laughing at the jokes. It felt more like people were just gawping at the graphics, to be honest. Of course, on DVD it's easier to appreciate the characters and interplay, and I've grown to enjoy Toy Story in time. Toy Story 2 was a marked improvement, but I actually prefer the original's story. But, as much as I love the Toy Story characters, I must confess that I'd prefer to see a sequel to The Incredibles or Monster's Inc over this. Anyone else agree? Either way, if you have kids, you'll be seeing this in the cinema next year -- if only for a quiet life. In 3-D, too.

Released: 18 June 2010 (US), 24 June 2010 (AUS), 23 July 2010 (UK)
HD Downloads: 480P (28MB) | 720P (82MB) | 1080P (130MB)


Forget trailers for the summer blockbusters, you'll see those everywhere over the next few months. No, it's time to champion the underdog or under-the-radar movies. Dead Snow/Død snø is a Norwegian horror-comedy about a group of medical students that become trapped in a mountain cabin, on land full of Nazi zombies. Yes, you read that right. Nazi. Zombies. Sold yet? I'm sure it will be good fun, but I'm a little fatigued by the abundance of movies with people fending off zombies. Shaun Of The Dead, [REC], Diary Of The Dead, the Resident Evil saga... Dead Snow will no doubt draw a cult crowd because of the Nazi Zombie element, but what else is there to say? Isn't it time zombies shuffled off for awhile? Anyway, check out the trailer above -- complete with Braindead T-shirt, Indiana Jones quote and Evil Dead tool-up sequence. It looks derivative, but... there are Nazi zombies. In the snow.

Released: 19 June 2009 (US, limited run)
HD Downloads: 480P (51MB) | 720P (122MB) | 1080P (177MB)
Website: www.deadsnow.com


The new, extended version of the Torchwood - Children Of Earth trailer. It looks very good, from what I can see. But is that anything to do with the fact there's barely any recognizable "Torchwood-isms"? This could be mistaken for an unrelated sci-fi chiller, as the only signifier it's a Torchwood story are the glimpses of Jack, Ianto and a brief speech by Gwen. I'm not ragging on Torchwood, really, but... this looks classier than their usual previews. Has the series finally come of age, or are we just being spared the cheesy, stilted action, and daftness to come? This trailer was made by BBC America, so do the Yanks just cut better trailers than us Brits? I remember when I went to America a few years ago and trailers for sodding Hex made it look like the best thing EVER, so...