Thursday 25 June 2009

Teen Wolf Too, Too

Thursday 25 June 2009
Michael J. Fox's 1985 comedy Teen Wolf is being remade, and MTV are also proposing a TV series in addition to that project. I'm assuming there will be no crossover of actors in any roles, a la Superman Returns and Smallville. Is anyone excited by this news?

Teen Wolf is one of those films that I have affection for because I adored it as a kid. I used to watch it all the time. It's a childhood movie I can't bring myself to dislike, even though I've seen it through adults eyes and now notice all the problems my child self ignored or didn't care about. Chief amongst them: why does the werewolf make-up make Fox look like a monkey? Did someone confuse canine with simian along the way? Look at the photo above! Also, even as a kid I remember being confused that MJF covered in long hair and fangs was somehow irresistible to high school hottie Pamela? That girl had some real issues. Someone should get animal welfare round to her house.

The idea of remake doesn't bother me in the slightest, though, because Teen Wolf is definitely a movie I can imagine being improved. Beyond the likeable MJF and a few memorable scenes ("give me a keg of beer", the bathroom transformation, van surfing, the final basketball match, etc.), there's plenty of scope to improve the storyline and ensure stronger actors take the supporting roles. This is the kind of remake I prefer to see: something that stands a chance of bettering the original.

But what about a TV series? I was enough of a Teen Wolf fan to remember the short-lived cartoon spin-off, which included a few changes to the Teen Wolf storyline to make it amendable to a weekly series -- like giving Scott Howard a larger family who are all werewolves, too. I'm sure similar changes will be required to ensure the somewhat limiting Teen Wolf story will work as a weekly series. They'll probably add more werewolves and include other supernatural beasts only our lupine hero can defeat, etc. Roswell with hair, basically.

Promisingly, writers Rene Echevarria (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, The 4400), Marty Adelstein (Prison Break) and Jeff Davis (Criminal Minds) are attached to the project. I can actually see this working out because there's already a template in place for this show -- a bit of Smallville, a slice of Roswell, stir in some Buffy. Et, voila!

I hope the werewolf transformations are good, but I suspect they'll have to be CGI'd and fast because you can't be doing bone-crunching metamorphoses every episode. It would slow the pace and be too costly. The original Teen Wolf had a fantastic transformation sequence to begin with (or does that look terrible 14 years later?), but after that first "wolf-out" they just obscured MJF behind basketball scrums before he leaped out fully hirsute.