Wednesday 22 July 2009

Are there any audiophiles out there?

Wednesday 22 July 2009
I'm thinking of buying a surround sound speaker system, but not looking forward to the weeks of research I tend to put in when buying expensive products like this. So, I was hoping there may be some readers out there who can help me choose quicker, or recommend something that suits my requirements. Details below...

What I'm looking for is:

1. A speaker set with x5 speakers and x1 subwoofer (not buying separates).
2. A HDMI connection.
3. A setup that will connect to a PS3 to deliver Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD sound, and a Virgin/Sky digibox for DD5.1.
4. I like the "tallboy" speaker style, to be picky. Black or silver in colour.
5. Price? My absolute limit is £500, but ideally between £300-400.

I really don't care about iPod, FM radio, and other associated goodies these sets try and cram in. I'd just like to play Blu-rays through my PS3 and watch TV with surround sound, and actually hear the soundtracks in 5.1 or HD quality where possible...

I've already had a look around online and found the Samsung HT-BD1252, which is about £450 and comes with a built-in blu-ray player, but have been put off with lip-syncing concerns. Although I assume that's only an issue if you're using their blu-ray player, which I probably won't be. A good choice?

If anyone out there is listening to HD sound on a PS3 and through their TV, what setup do you have? Any recommendations and advice would be very welcome, thanks everyone!