Friday 25 September 2009

Living HD launches 6 October

Friday 25 September 2009
Virgin Media have announced that Living HD will launch on 6 October. This will bring popular shows like Ghost Whisperer, CSI and Grey's Anatomy to cable viewers of channel 110 in high-definition. It's not known if VM have agreed terms to allow Sky to carry Living HD yet, but it's been speculated that VM are trying to use Living HD as leverage to get their mitts on Sky1 HD.

Personally, I find it hard to believe Sky would let their rivals carry Sky1 HD (which shows 24, Lost, Stargate and House), in exchange for the considerably weaker Living HD lineup. It seems to me that Sky's extensive HD programming is its only persuasive selling point these days, as Virgin's cable service equals or betters everything else Rupert Murdoch's company offers.

For me, Sky's HD output is desirable but not enticing enough to make me sacrifice what I appreciate about VM (the cheaper price, the on-demand TV, the faster and more reliable broadband), but I know others think differently.