Tuesday 15 September 2009

MTV Video Music Awards 2009

Tuesday 15 September 2009


I caught some of the MTV Video Music Awards 2009, but could only manage about 40 minutes before tuning out. What I did see was Russell Brand as host, clutching a top hat and still charming those Americans with his pretentious airs and graces. Like all good Brits, part of me is proud an Englishman has made such an impact Stateside and is the MC for a big event like this, but a bigger part can't wait for the Yanks to grow tired of his neo-Victorian lothario shtick and send him packing (hopefully before he ruins that Arthur remake.)

The Michael Jackson tribute was excellent. It was quite cathartic to have a true celebration of this entertainer's life, instead of funereal speeches (although Madonna's was surprisingly interesting and heartfelt.) The musical medley, with Jacko brought to life on a gigantic screen behind body-popping dancers, was stimulating and exciting entertainment. The moment Janet Jackson appeared and danced alongside her late brother's projection for "Scream" made me smile, although I wish Janet had done likewise.

Beyond that, I was dipping in and out because I have no interest in who wins and loses. You could say it's a sign of getting old, but only if you mean I'm old enough to realize MTV awards mean fuck-all. Who won Best Single last year -- anyone? Exactly. The biggest talking point was seeing Kanye West interrupt Taylor Swift's acceptance speech to claim Beyonce deserved the award instead. I agree, but still... poor Taylor looked gobsmacked and lacked the ability to turn the situation around, but she was rescued by the crowd booing Kanye and giving her a standing ovation. And, I have to say, Beyonce really impressed me by later insisting Taylor Swift join her on-stage to have her moment again, uninterrupted this time. Nice one, B!

I remain undecided on Lady GaGa. She's clearly nuttier than a squirrel fart (did you see the red net entirely covering her face, or the exploding blood-bag?), but I think the music biz need crazy people like her. I just wish she wasn't so aloof with it. I guess she has a sense of humour about herself, but it's hard to say for sure. Yes, she didn't look too upset when Brand started firing off hermaphrodite jokes at her expense, but how else DO you react when a camera's in your face at the time? Best to grin and bear it.

Click here for the full list of winners.


14 September 2009
MTV, 9pm