Wednesday 2 September 2009

What I'll Be Watching This Autumn

Wednesday 2 September 2009


The new television season is about to commence, and that means a lot more TV reviews will be posted now the summer drought's over. As usual, there'll be a mix of returning favourites and new shows to sample, so I thought I'd just let everyone know what my plans are. Below is a loose schedule of the main shows I'll be aiming to review and when each review is likely to be posted in the week. Nothing's set in stone, so I may adjust my schedule for various reasons ad hoc, but this is the general plan:

HARPER'S ISLAND, Mondays
airing: Sundays (from 6 September, BBC Three)
I intend to review this show, which finished earlier this summer in the US, although I'm wary of major spoilers as a result. So please, be a grown-up if you already know who the killer is...

DEXTER, Tuesdays
airing: Sundays (from 27 September, Showtime)
As usual, I'll be following along with the US airings because it takes about 8 months for the UK debut on FX and well over a year for the terrestrial UK airing on ITV1.

HEROES, Wednesdays
airing: Mondays (from 21 September, NBC)
I'm going to start reviewing at the US pace, but if BBC2 follow their typical schedule and become less than a week behind NBC's premiere... well, I'll adjust accordingly and review at the UK pace. We'll see how it goes.

DOLLHOUSE, Wednesdays
airing: Tuesdays (from 20 October, Sci-Fi Channel UK)
Yes, it may come as a surprise, but I'm going to wait for Sci-Fi to show this a month later, rather than jump in with the US premieres on Fox. I can wait four weeks...

V, Thursdays
airing: Tuesdays (from 3 November, ABC)
The first new show on my itinerary, so we'll just have to see if it engages me, but I have a good vibe about this sci-fi remake.

FLASH FORWARD, Saturdays
airing: Thursdays (from 24 September, ABC)
The second new show, I'll likewise follow with the US audience, and see if this holds my interest.

FRINGE, Saturdays
airing: Thursdays (from 17 September, Fox)
Similarly to Heroes, I will follow at the US pace, unless Sky1 are showing the same episode on Sunday. In that case, expect these reviews to shift to Mondays.

PEEP SHOW, Saturdays
airing: Fridays (from 18 September, Channel 4)
A homegrown show, so a review will be up the very next day.

MERLIN, Sundays
airing: Saturdays (from 12 September, BBC1)
Likewise, another British series, so a review will follow within 24-hours.

I should also mention that I'm going to try and be more "relaxed" with my reviews. It's often a balance between quality and quantity when writing so many reviews, so rather than find myself struggling to write 700-1000 words for every show... I may just focus that level of effort on the shows I REALLY enjoy and particularly like, meaning the rest will be shorter in word-count. I'm still going to try and maintain quality across the board, but I'm not going to let myself get stressed about writing a review for, say, Harper's Island... when that's clearly a show of limited appeal, and people would prefer I put an effort into, say, Dexter.

As always, your comments and feedback are appreciated, as it really helps me decide which shows to focus on more, or which ones deserve less attention. It would actually be really good, and alleviate many of my concerns, if a few of the "shorter" reviews were fleshed-out by your comments below. This may be MY blog, but it only really does it job when YOU guys get involved and help shape it.