Saturday 10 October 2009

Sugababes: "About A Girl"

Saturday 10 October 2009

The Sugababes are back with their first single featuring new member Jade Ewen, entitled "About A Girl". Featuring bad stunt-doubles and a trivial "plot", it again showcases their new image intended to sell them to the US market (i.e. they dress in leathers and dance provocatively.) I'm all for the 'babes sexier moves, and Amelle looks particularly re-energized without Keisha around (taking the lead in the vid, again), but I'm sure a lot of longterm fans are reassessing their loyalty now.

I say cut new girl Jade some slack -- Keisha's ousting wasn't her fault, she's easier on the eye than her predecessor, and a better singer (if not as unique sounding.) This track's an improvement on the trashy "Get Sexy", if you ask me -- although I'll admit that summer tune did weedle its way into my head. This one probably will, too, but Jade's long legs distract me from the song too much. Maybe it'll be a grower after copious radio play. What do you think?