Saturday 2 January 2010

New Year's TV: 2010 Preview

Saturday 2 January 2010

As usual, the new year is going to mean a lot of TV to review. Here's a quick rundown of the shows I will probably be covering in the next few months, and in how much depth:


24, season 8
(Sky1, starts Sunday 24 Jan)
I'm once again planning to stick to the UK-pace, as Sky are usually only a week behind the US. However, 24's a difficult show to keep reviewing in weekly chunks, so I may be much briefer or perhaps only review the big, memorable episodes.


Being Human, series 2
(BBC3, starts Sunday 10 Jan)
I'll definitely be reviewing this supernatural comedy, don't worry. I'm not sure about the depth, though -- it depends on how good and complex it is.

Caprica
(Syfy, starts Friday 22 Jan)
I really don't know if I'll be covering this BSG prequel at the US-pace. It depends how things are working out by the end of January. I may just not have time. Or perhaps it'll replace Dollhouse in my schedule, I'm not sure yet. It's possible I may wait for UK airings. Anyway, I have already reviewed the pilot here, if you want to read it.


Chuck, season 3
(NBC, starts Sunday 10 Jan, cont's Monday 11 Jan)
Season 2 was so good that Chuck has actually become a priority now (not least because there's definitely a big audience for reviews here), so I'll be watching at the US-pace for the first time since season 1, as I simply don't trust Virgin1 to show it in a timely fashion here in the UK.


Damages, season 3
(FX, starts Monday 25 January)
I won't be watching at the US-pace, and I probably won't review this show weekly when it arrives on the BBC, either. I may just review the premiere and finale, and a few episodes in-between that take my fancy. I'm not sure. The casting does sound very juicy, again: Martin Short, Campbell Scott, Keith Carradine and Lily Tomlin...


Dollhouse, season 2
(Fox, resumes Friday 8 Jan)
Yes, I'm definitely sticking to my usual schedule for Dollhouse as it reaches its climax by the end of January. The double-bills mean each episode gets less individual focus, but that seems to work okay.

Fringe, season 2
(Sky1, resumes Feb - TBC)
I'll wait for Sky to show Fringe, as I'm just not as keen on this show as I was last year, hate to say it. So, depth depends on the quality, really.


Glee, season 1
(E4, resumes Monday 11 Jan)
Well, I intend to review the first few post-pilot episodes at the very least, but this is a show that will be the first to go if my schedule gets too unmanageable.

Heroes, season 4
(NBC, resumes Monday 4 Jan)
Usual reviews at the usual pace, most likely. Incidentally, Heroes' fourth season starts on BBC2 on 9 January, so British fans can perhaps follow along with my older reviews.

Lost, season 6
(Sky1, starts Friday 5 Feb)
Oh yes, is there any doubt I'll be covering Lost's final ever season? I usually watch at US-pace, but will continue to release my reviews at the UK-pace.


Mad Men, season 3
(BBC4, starts Thursday 21 Jan)
I love watching Mad Men in winter –- it doesn't suit the summertime, if you ask me. I say it's worth waiting half a year to see new episodes. They brighten up some cold evenings. No changes my to plan here, although Mad Men is a tough show to review so I'd appreciate some support comment-wise. Incidentally, BBC4 will be stripping season 2 (starting 3 January) in preparation for the new season.

Survivors, series 2
(BBC1, starts Wednesday 13 Jan)
Well, I'll review it, but perhaps only very briefly –- a la Paradox. But if it's not very good, it's possible I'll drop it entirely now.

So yes... I'm glad V, FlashForward and Doctor Who won't be back until March and April! Here's the potential list of what reviews I'll definitely be writing, and when, in chronological order:

Mondays: 24 (Sky1), Being Human (BBC3)
Tuesdays: Glee (E4)
Wednesdays: Chuck (NBC), Heroes (NBC)
Thursdays: Survivors (BBC1)
Fridays: Mad Men (BBC4)
Saturdays: Lost (Sky1)
Sundays: Dollhouse (Fox)
That's actually not too bad to be getting on with, but things may get trickier once a few other shows confirm their airdates.