Thursday 25 February 2010

State of the Blog: Damages HD, Caprica backburner, 200th film review, competitions, and can you recommend a rental?

Thursday 25 February 2010
I was too tired last night to watch Damages, so I'll have to catchup tonight for a Friday review. It's just been revealed that BBC HD won't be simulcasting the series alongside BBC1 every Wednesday, but will instead show episodes in high-def on Thursdays at 10pm. I will be following those HD broadcasts.

Also, as I mentioned last week, I'm going to be saving my Mad Men posts for Fridays now, too -- just to ensure a better job is done writing them. Y'see, unlike many other pop-culture blogs/sites, I don't get sent screeners that allow me to write and fine-tune a review days/weeks before transmission. The vast majority of my reviews are written the day after broadcast.

Now, considering my ennui towards Caprica and the fact Sky1 are now days behind Syfy's transmission, I may occasionally free up some weekend time by letting Caprica reviews slip back to Wednesday for UK-pace. It depends on my workload. I get the impression not many people would care about a longer wait, but let me know if I'm wrong.

You may have noticed that my recent review of Michael Jackson's This Is It was the 200th film review here at DMD, so I thought it would be a good time to remind you that a handy A-Z index of archived reviews can be found here.

I may have a few competitions to win copies of 2012 and Zombieland soon, so stay tuned for that later this month. Again, apologies that all of my contests so far are only open to British/Irish citizens, but if any foreign PR companies want to get in touch about a similar giveaway, I'd be more than happy to do something for my international readers.

Owing to the fact LoveFilm currently don't have many Universal discs in stock, my "queue" with them has run dry. I've started to fill it with films that I'd usually only add on a whim as low-priorities (animated hamster movie G-Force, for e.g), so can anyone recommend some older movies on Blu-ray that are worth seeing? I just added Wall Street, as preparation for the sequel this year, but are there any other classics worth a visit, or unsung gems you'd like to recommend?

Ummm, I don't have much else to add. A few cosmetic changes have occurred (redesigning the "On The Box" grid images, moving some reciprocal links from the footer to the sidebar), but that's about it. Oh, and I have a good idea for a competitive poll that I may put into action this weekend, so stay tuned.