Saturday 6 March 2010

THE BUBBLE 1.3 [Open Thread]

Saturday 6 March 2010

This will be the last time I chime in on The Bubble, until it perhaps alters its format or otherwise improves. I still think the potential behind quizzing celebs on news stories they've been cocooned from is being squandered; the game reduced to guessing which ridiculous news report/tabloid clipping is too ridiculous to be true, or so ridiculous it must be true. My dark side longs for a well-timed celebrity death to at least inspire a "guess who died?"-style bit of irreverence one week, but that's in the hands of fate and The Bubble's producers.

The Bubble's too timorous to tackle such things, I feel -- so "gorilla found on Mars" and "chickens murder fox" stories are the order of the day. After three episodes, I find it amusing enough to pass the time (mainly because of David Mitchell's celebrated wit), but the game itself doesn't involve me until the final quick-fire round. So, that's me done reviewing it here, although I hope it comes back for another series, provided they find a way to tackle more relevant mainstream news. I don't expect them to wisecrack about Jamie Bulger's now-adult killer being sent back to jail after breaking the conditions of his release (as happened this week), but The Bubble has got to show its teeth somehow.

What's your final verdict?

5 MARCH 2010: BBC2, 10PM