Sunday 14 March 2010

Competition: Zombieland winner!

Sunday 14 March 2010

Last week I held a competition to win a copy of Zombieland on DVD/Blu-ray (reviewed here), where you had to give a 33-word (or less) answer to the following question: if you had survived a zombie apocalypse, where would you go and why? I'm pleased to say the response was fantastic, making this by far the most popular contest I've done so far -- most likely because it got linked to from Money Saving Expert.com. A handful of entries went over the 33-word limit, sadly, but the rules are there to be followed. Anyway, the winner and a rundown of all the entries received are below:

THE WINNER!

"You need 161+ fertile promiscous humans, 90% women, in order to rebuild a self-sustaining population that will not die from inbreeding in later generations. For humanities sake I would seek out University dormitories." – Christian

Christian actually entered in the comments for fun, as he's not from the UK/Ireland, but after arranging to have the potential prize delivered to a friend for forward international delivery, he therefore made his entry official via someone else. And, I have to say, it was by far the best -- within the rules, funny, interesting and educational. Congrats! If you're reading, just let me know which format you want Zombieland on (DVD or Blu-ray) by email, or in the comments below, and the disc will hopefully be sent out Monday.

THE OTHER ENTRIES
(sorry, if your entry isn't below you broke my 33-word limit rule!)

"I would go to a big stately home to try and find all the secret passages and secrets whilst being able to survive on the grounds." -- Yolanda Barker

"I would go to a chocolate factory - I could survive on chocolate and would never have to leave!!" -- Isabella Carosi

"I would head to Cadbury's World and stuff my face. No need to worry about my weight now." -- Tolu Imonioro

"I'd go to Disneyland because there would be no queues for the rides." -- Andrea Smith

"If I survived, I would head to Alton Towers, because for once there would be no queues!!!!!" -- Andy Wilmore

"I would go to Camp David, as it should be very secure and well supplied with resources and self sufficient to last you for some time, or until all the Zombies have died." -- Clare White

"I wouldn’t even try to get away, I have everything that I need at home. First thing I do is move my armour and weapons into the attic." -- Solange Thomas

"I would definitely stay home! I'm 5 minutes from 4 big supermarkets for all the food I needed. I walk with a stick which would make a great zombie weapon. I am ready!!" -- Natalie Henderson

"I'd use the massive resources I'd accumulated in the collapse to take a private jet to Machu Picchu and set up house there, in the beautiful Andes, while humanity gets itself together." -- Laura Hadland

"I would go to Buckingham Palace and use their fall out shelter! I'm sure it would be kitted out well!!" -- Toni Quandt

"I WOULD GO TO NEAREST PHONE AND PHONE ROUND TO SEE IF ANY OF MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY HAD SURVIVED." -- Julie Pannell

"The answer is -- I would make my way to London and hole up in one of the big hotels where there is bound to be lots of good food and water!" -- Christopher Bell

"Take over a government bunker by luring out Brown with a couple of sticky buns.Safe and secure in case they come back with plenty of available commodities such as food and water." -- Barrie Phillips

"I would go back to bed, pull the bedclothes over my head and wait for the inevitable to happen - because there would be no point in doing anything else." -- Jesse Partington

"I would go to the Isle of Wight and declare it as mine because lets face it, no transport is going to get me to the Bahamas" -- Rachel Mounteney

"Top of a mountain,in case they come back.It's a good vantage point and they move pretty slow on level land so uphill will make them slower!" -- Alison Perman

"Having survived the initial wave of the zombie apocalypse I would head straight to the nearest twinkie factory, cos, let's face it -- it's ALL about the twinkies! (useful as food or weaponry)" -- Kimberly Howson

"I'd go to the nearest zoo to check whether the animals were zombified too. That would be cool!" -- Nick Poucher

"I'd head north! Pretty sure the Zombies wouldn't like the freezing cold or the 24Hrs of sunlight in Norway, plus I could see the Northern Lights!" -- Rob Eves

"Under the table. It's always the safest place..." -- Stan The Fox

"If I were one of the survivors, I'd go to Hollywood, because it's the best place to pass off as one zombie. Could zombies differentiate one of its kind and Hollywood mannequin stars?" -- Elena

"I would go to the finals of X-factor as no self respecting Zombie would be seen dead there." -- Phil Darling

"I would go down the job centre to get a job,because with everyone dead I would probably stand a good chance." -- Nigel Kippen

"I'd go to my home town of Blackburn, they always said it'd be better after the apocolypse so a good chance to test that theory" -- Pete Aighton

Thank you to everyone who took the time to enter! It amused me to see a few similar or identical thoughts arising, too -- like going to theme parks or chocolate factories. Finally, nobody worked out why the limit was 33-words -- so, to explain, that was the highest number Columbus assigned to his list of survival rules in the movie.