Saturday 17 April 2010

Interview: Matt Smith & Karen Gillan [Doctor Who]

Saturday 17 April 2010

Here it is! My interview with Doctor Who stars Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, mirrored from Ain't It Cool News, and readable below:

Doctor Who returns to BBC America on April 17 @8/7c with "The Eleventh Hour", a premiere that heralds the biggest creative changes for the show since its 2005 revival. Matt Smith succeeds David Tennant as the eccentric Time Lord, Karen Gillan is the assertive new companion, and acclaimed writer Steven Moffat (the brains behind revered episodes like "Blink" and "The Girl In The Fireplace") assumes Russell T. Davies' crown as showrunner of the longest-running sci-fi series in the world...

On the eve of Doctor Who's BBC America premiere, I had a quick chat with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, while they were over in New York to promote the show's US return...



MATT SMITH: Hello!

DAN OWEN: Hi, Matt! How are you?

MATT: Yeah-yeah, cool, thanks, cool.

DAN: How's New York?

MATT: Yeah, amazing! It's kinda weird talking to someone in England. D'you know what I mean? It's kinda like, "whoah" (laughs) I've been talking to journalists all this time -- I mean, I know you write for an American website and stuff, but yeah. It's really sunny here. How's London? Is that where you are?

DAN: No, I'm actually up in the East Midlands, so further north.

MATT: Oh, okay, cool. So you've watched the first episode, then?

DAN: I've seen the first two.

MATT: Did you like them?

DAN: I did, yeah -- I especially liked the first one, I thought that was very good. So anyway, congratulations on becoming the new Doctor.

MATT: Thanks.

DAN: Those are big shoes to fill. A TV icon. Is that something you felt overwhelmed by?

MATT: No, no, no. I mean, certainly not now. I'm sure there was a point where you think "God, wow, this is a big job I need to prepare for." But, y'know, no man -- I'm paid to be a professional. And that involves getting on with it and making sure you do the job to the best of your abilities. And that's what I've tried to do, y'know. I'm not really concerned with what's come before me, in terms of the pressure that comes with that. I'm just proud of the heritage of the show.

DAN: The show starts this Saturday [April 17] on BBC America, and the good thing with Doctor Who is that it kind of reinvents itself every so often, so this is a good point for newcomers to jump in. So what can they expect from the show?

MATT: Well, I mean, y'know... we've got some great adventures and some great stories because we've got Steven Moffat -- who, to my mind, is one of the best, if not the best, televisual writer in Britain, really, at the moment. In terms of his invention, honestly, the way he plays with time in this particular series is incredible. And I think, y'know, Russell [T. Davies] made it the most popular show, but I think that Steven will make it the most magic. And, I mean, like you say, the show is about reinvention, and I think for new viewers coming on they don't need any prior knowledge of the previous incarnations of the show. They can jump in and will understand the concepts in it: the TARDIS, time travel, the companion, all these things are set up so clearly. And then we've got some great adventures. We've got the Daleks, the Weeping Angels, we've got Cybermen, we've got vampires in Venice, we've got a Dream Lord, we've got the Silurians -- they're back. So, um, every week there's a new and different monster that The Doctor has to... fend off.

DAN: Were you a fan of the show before?

MATT: Well, I was part of that barren age in England where it wasn't on television. So I was aware of it as a kid, but I never watched it -- which was a bit of a disadvantage when it came back the second time. But then I got the job and I watched, went right through Chris [Eccleston] to David [Tennant], and then looked at some Tom Baker, a bit of [John] Pertwee, and a bit of my favourite -- Patrick Troughton.

DAN: Have you used elements of any of those past Doctors?

MATT: No. Uh, no, because I think you have to make it your own. I think the part is about invention. I don't think you can really borrow anything consciously from anyone else. I mean, y'know, he is the same man... but the point is that whoever embodies him brings their flavour to it. That's certainly what I've tried to do.

DAN: When you were creating the character, how much of that was your own invention and how much was what Steven Moffat had on the page?

MATT: It's a bit of both, y'know. He gives me the canvas and the colours and then hopefully I go away and paint the canvas, as it were. But the things he gives you are brilliant, and they allow such invention because he's such a brilliant writer. He really is. But of course, like anything, like any great creative process, it has to be a collaboration.


DAN: You started filming last year, so was it strange filming when people didn't really know what you were going to be like, and everyone was still thinking about David Tennant and his last episodes as The Doctor? Was it weird being in that "bubble"?

MATT: Not really, because I don't really pay any attention to, like, the forums, or anything like that. I just kind of get on with my job and make sure I do the best. For me it's not weird. I guess for everyone else it probably is. But for me, no, it sort of makes no difference at all.

DAN: I think it's because we're not actors, so we just imagine all that pressure would be a lot to bear.

MATT: I mean, of course, of course there's a great deal of pressure that comes with being in a part like this. Taking on a show like this. But, I don't know, man, you'd rather do it than not, wouldn't you? So you can't sort of worry about it all day -- you've got to get on and make it.

DO: How did you find working with all the special effects?

MATT: Yeah, I mean, I love all the greenscreen stuff. It's odd, y'know -- often you're just standing in front of a greenscreen staring at a tennis ball on a piece of string, pretending that it's a Dalek that's about to strike you down with a death-ray. So you're certainly required to use your imagination. But, um, it's definitely the most fun show I've ever had to make.

DAN: What was your favourite moment of filming?

MATT: Oh, I've got so many. We went out and filmed episode 6 and 10 in Croatia; they were brilliant. And then, of course, I played football for a whole day with James Corden. That was great, actually. Great fun.

DAN: And you used to be a footballer when you were younger, of course.

MATT: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. That was sort of what I wanted to do. It's odd, really, that I'm in this line of work. But, um, yeah, I was very much a footballer -- that was my intention from a young age.

DAN: Doctor Who's now a big global brand, so there's a lot of merchandise involved with it. Have you seen any of the toys that will be out for Christmas with your face on?

MATT: Yeah, I have actually...

DAN: Is that kinda weird?

MATT: Yeah, but it makes you overwhelmingly happy at the same time, as well. D'you know what I mean? It's, uh, a little 12 inch plastic you. Uh, y'know, again, like many things, it's weird. Right now, for instance, I'm sat in a car, in New York, in the meat-packing district, talking to someone in the East Midlands about Doctor Who for an American website! I mean, y'know, this job never fails to surprise me, and when you see a little 12 inch figure of yourself it's surreal... but exciting.

DAN: This is a bit of a cheesy question, but I've been asked to ask you this: if you could go anywhere in time, where would you go? Past or the future? I'm sure you haven't been asked that before!

MATT: I don't think that's a cheesy question, I think it's a valid one! (laughs) Um, I would go to the Lost City of Atlantis, I think. I want to see if that exists. I think that would make quite a good Who story.


DAN: When do you start shooting the Christmas special?

MATT: Ooh, yeah, we start shooting that in July. Steven ran me through the idea -- yesterday, actually, because he's out in New York as well. And, uh, look man, it sounds pretty special, I gotta say. He's really so clever, Steven.

DAN: Can you drop any hints about what the special might involve?

MATT: Oh God, no, I'm sorry. My head would be firmly on the block.

DAN: I had to try!

MATT: (laughs) Yeah, but, y'know, I can tell you it's set around Christmas.

DAN: (laughs) Oh, okay...

MATT: It's Christmassy, I can tell you that much.

DAN: I think we're out of time now.

MATT: I think so, but it's been a pleasure, sir. And how's the weather over there?

DAN: It's really good! Just as sunny! So, yeah, hurry back!

MATT: (laughs) Enjoy it, yeah! Alright, mate...

DAN: Okay, thank you, bye.

MATT: Cheers, dude! Bye, b-bye.



KAREN GILLAN: Hellooo.

DAN: Hi, Karen.

KAREN: Hi, how are ya?

DAN: I'm good, thank you. It's great to speak to you.

KAREN: It's great to speak to you!

DAN: So how excited are you that Doctor Who's finally on the air in the UK and it's about to start on BBC America this Saturday?

KAREN: Oh, oh it's too exciting for words, you know. We've been filming this for nine months and it sort of didn't feel like it would ever go on television, and now it has in the UK. And it's just been so amazing. We put so much effort into it and it's been amazing to see that it's actually been received quite well!

DAN: The reaction's been very good, yeah.

KAREN: Yes, thank goodness for that! And now it's about to be launched in the US on Saturday, so that's really exciting.

DAN: Understandably, a lot of attention has been on Matt Smith, but these days the companions are a more interesting part of the show, in some ways.

KAREN: I guess so. In some ways, in terms of like who the story is actually happening to, and things like that.

DAN: The story's seen through their eyes, more than the Doctor's, really.

KAREN: Well yeah, because they're the one we can relate to.

DAN: So what can we expect from Amy Pond this year?

KAREN: Ooh, Amy Pond is... an interesting girl, I think. Um, well in the first episode The Doctor meets her in a very interesting way, and has a very kind of devastating effect on her life. Which kind of, I don't know, it shapes her, and shapes the person she's become, and I think that she's a little bit "odd". And um, she's very kind of passionate and impulsive, and almost as mad as The Doctor is. Which is quite interesting seeing them two together as a team trying to deal with situations. It's quite funny sometimes.

DAN: So, Steven Moffat, the new showrunner, is kind of famous for writing quirky female characters. Amy's definitely of that description, isn't she.

KAREN: I would say so, yeah. Steven Moffat writes brilliant female characters and Amy Pond is no exception. She's just utterly, brilliantly written, and I just hope that Amy Pond lives up to that. I'm so happy that I get to be the one to play her.


DAN: Did you have any say in what Amy would be like as a character?

KAREN: Well, yeah, I guess so. I mean, y'know, half the job was done in that respect because Steven's written it. And I just kind of went with my instinct on it, I guess. I just had an instinct on what she'd be like and I just went for it that way. And she seems to have turned out a bit... weird. (laughs) But I like that about her! So I think half of was probably done through the writing and then I just made it my own.

DAN: So there's not really much of you in Amy, then?

KAREN: Ummm, no, I think we're quite different people. But as an actor you sometimes can't help but put some of yourself in the part, even if its subconsciously, because you're trying to identity with them and relate to them, understand and sympathize with them through your own experiences. But no, for the most part we're quite different.

DAN: Were you a fan of Doctor Who before you got the job?

KAREN: Uh no, not really. It wasn't on when I was growing up as a kid, and then it came back in 2005. I mean I wouldn't call myself a "fan". I did watch quite a lot of it, though, because my mother's a massive fan. But no, I think that everyone needs their introduction to it, and I got mine through getting the part.

DAN: Do you think that was an advantage in a way? You could just dive straight in, fresh?

KAREN: Yeah, I actually do. I think that's quite advantageous because the companion is the one that's seeing all of this for the first time. So she can never take anything for granted. She doesn't know that there's this setup of The Doctor, the Time Lords, travelling around with a female companion. For all she knows, she's the first. And we all know who The Doctor is, but she doesn't have a clue, and that's interesting -- her trying to understand him.

DAN: You're going to be a bit of a role model for young kids now. Is that a bit of a scary thought?

KAREN: Um, I don't know! It's nice and flattering, I guess. (laughs) When taking on this show, I guess you take on some responsibilities. So I won't be falling out of any nightclubs. (laughs)

DAN: Is it kind of strange seeing yourself on magazines everywhere?

KAREN: Yeeeah, it's kind of really strange and surreal. But you kind of get used to it. It's weird. You just become accustomed to it. But it's definitely surreal to start.


DAN: How did you get on with the special effects?

KAREN: Um, quite strange at the beginning, actually, because obviously all the effects are put in after we've finished filming the episode. So, um, lots of greenscreens, sticks with tennis balls on the end of them that were supposed to be monsters. So yeah, that was quite strange, because you had to imagine everything, basically. But then, somehow, you get used to that and you become accustomed to being terrified of tennis balls!

DAN: (laughs) Are you fully committed to Doctor Who now, all year round? Is there a chance of doing something else, besides?

KAREN: Um, well, no, I'm not doing anything for the moment, anyway. When you finish filming Doctor Who there's so much stuff that goes after it. Lots of promotion, and all sorts of things like that, so that's what I'm doing at the moment. I'm in the middle of all that. And then... I don't know! We'll have to wait and see! It's exciting.

DAN: Well, that's all the time we have, apparently, so thank you very much for your time.

KAREN: Okay, nice to talk to you!

DAN: Thank you, bye!

KAREN: Bye!

~

Both interviews were a bit shorter than I would have liked (a result of last-minute schedule changes), and they caught me on the hop with Matt Smith's (ringing 30 mins early mid-tweet!), but I did what I could under the circumstances.

These phone interviews are a peculiar thing, really. You hope to build a quick rapport, but at the same time can't get too conversational and distracted from the task at hand. Plus you're aware that 95% of what you're asking they've been asked a thousand times before that day, or you've heard/read the answers yourself. And there's the added complication that, being a promo for a primarily American audience, I was told not to ask anything specific about Amy and The Doctor's relationship because it would spoil things about episode 1, etc. Try thinking of a totally unique, pertinent and non-spoilery question -- it's hard!

So yes, there's a lot's buzzing around your head, ontop of the inevitable nerves, and you have to think on your feet to skip questions they've already half-answered. But Matt and Karen were both very charming and excited about the show, and answered my questions with enthusiasm. Karen was a lot more relaxed than I expected her to be (not sure why I assumed she wouldn't be), and Matt seemed particularly tickled by the weirdness that I was a Brit, speaking to him from England, while he's over in Amerca, for the benefit of an American website. And it dawned on me shortly after that a typically British discussion of the weather bookended the interview! Naturally. If I was there in person, we'd have had tea.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed these interviews, and it gave you a sense of my encounter with The Doctor and his new companion.