Friday 3 September 2010

'Come Fly With Me' starts filming with Matt Lucas & David Walliams

Friday 3 September 2010
Matt Lucas and David Walliams have started filming the six-part comedy Come Fly With Me; their follow-up to Little Britain, set in a busy airport featuring brand new characters and celebrity guests. It's produced by Adam Tandy (The Thick Of It) and directed by Paul King (The Mighty Boosh), set for transmission later this year.

I'm just glad Lucas and Walliams are moving away from Little Britain, which they milked until that cash cow was a shriveled heap of offal. Seriously, I've never known comedians drive a show into the ground so deeply. It should have ended after the poorly-received third series, capped by what I hear was an impressive live stage show. Those Christmas specials and the American version for HBO were terrible.

So I'm glad they're doing something else, even if it sounds like it could be renamed Little Airport. But I'm going to withhold judgement for now, because I still think Lucas and Walliams have natural "funny bones" and Come Fly With Me might not be as sketch-driven as Little Britain. I'm anticipating a comedic version of fly-on-the-wall doc Airport, with actual narratives driving various storylines, complete with the occasional celebrity cameo. That alone will make it a decent development from Little Britain... although I still expect a copious amount of catchphrases and toilet humour. And we can already guess the theme tune, right?