Wednesday 2 February 2011

'Boardwalk Empire': what did you think?

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Sky Atlantic launched last night, with Boardwalk Empire as its crown jewel at 9pm, followed by Blue Bloods as 10.30pm. What did you think? I don't get Sky Atlantic myself, so I can't offer my opinion on the channel, but a friend told me Boardwalk Empire was spoiled by the advert breaks. The episodes run to a full hour on HBO, so will every episode be stretched to 80-mins to accommodate ads on Sky? That doesn't sound too good! Of course, most people watching will have Sky+ so they'll probably never watch live and instead fast-forward through any commercials, so does it really matter these days?

If you have an opinion to share about Sky Atlantic or Boardwalk Empire's premiere (directed by Martin Scorsese, no less) then please do so below. I reviewed Boardwalk's pilot last year, which I thought was marvelous, but this morning's reviews from British critics are mixed. Is the problem partly the fact it was overhyped by Sky, or is Boardwalk Empire simply overrated?