Wednesday 9 February 2011

TV Bite: 'Bedlam'

Wednesday 9 February 2011

I was planning to review Sky Living's new six-part supernatural drama Bedlam, about a haunted asylum that's being renovated into domestic flats, but Monday night's first episode was so appalling I didn't even finish it. I don’t believe in reviewing things you haven't seen in its entirety, but obviously turning a spooky drama off after its first ad break isn't a good sign. Will Young as a computer nerd of ambiguous sexuality? The appearance of its ghost being accompanied by whooshing stings on the soundtrack, as sinks filled with green... what, blood, slime? Awful. It felt like Hollyoaks-meets-Ghost Whisperer, with the emerald-black aesthetic of ITV's wretched Demons. But this isn't a review, just an opinion based on the first 15-minutes, which was more than enough for me. How about you?

Incidentally, I want to do more of these TV Bites, to cover shows I'm watching but can't put aside the time for lengthy reviews. Anyone up for Arrested Development capsule appraisals, now that it's being repeated in double-bills every Tuesday on FX? Or Community?