Saturday 12 February 2011

TV Ratings: 'Mad Dogs', Sky1

Saturday 12 February 2011

Sky1's new drama Mad Dogs got off to a great start on Thursday night at 9pm, with 960,000 viewers tuning in for Part One. My guess is that the star-power of the four leads (Philip Glenister, John Simm, Max Beesley, Ben Chaplin) was too much to resist, particularly on an evening that's hardly flowing with TV gems. There was also another effective marketing campaign.

I can't imagine many of that 960k not watching Part Two next week, given this opener's stunning climax that almost demands you watch more. I'm just glad Sky are channelling some of their cash into an original homegrown series, given all the emphasis that's been placed on Sky's US acquisitions this year. Incidentally, while Mad Dogs was clearly a hit with audiences, I was surprised by the lack of comments on my review. Did nobody here care?