Thursday 10 March 2011

'Becoming Human' webseries comes to BBC3

Thursday 10 March 2011

I thought something like this would happen. The BBC have announced that the popular webseries Becoming Human will be shown on BBC3. The eight-part online drama will be edited together to form a 50-minute special, broadcast on 20 March @9pm. Becoming Human will thus air its online finale simultaneously with BBC3.

If you don't already know, Becoming Human continues the story of vampire Adam (Craig Robertson), who was introduced in Being Human's third series episode "Adam's Family", as he befriends werewolf Christa (Leila Mimmack) and ghost Matt (Josh Brown) to solve a mystery.

Since it debuted, Becoming Human has attracted an impressive 1.5m hits on the BBC's interactive "red button" service and online, and a BBC3 special will introduce it to even more people. I wouldn't mind this practice becoming typical for webseries, actually. I can never summon the enthusiasm to sit at my computer to watch a streamed 5-10 minute webisode, but I'd happily watch an assemblage on TV.

I heard good things about Becoming Human when it started, so I'll definitely be checking it out. I may even review it the next day. The premise sounds vaguely Muppet Babies-esque to me, but the idea of essentially recasting Being Human, shaking up the gender roles, and making them all teenagers is fairly appealing.