Friday 6 May 2011

Trailer: 'Luther' (BBC1)

Friday 6 May 2011

The BBC have released a short promotion for Luther, which returns for its second series in the near-future. It's a rather tedious and obvious piece of marketing, showing Idris Elba demolishing his office in snapshots played backwards. The BBC seem to love promo's that involve reverse-photography and slow-motion, don't they? Sadly, there's no actual footage from the new series, which will also see the return of Ruth Wilson as serial-killer confidant Alice Morgan, so this is just an alert that Luther will soon be back for two 2-hour episodes.


Opinion here was very mixed about the first series. It took me a few episodes to buy into the show's curious tone and direction, but once I did I found it great fun and, for a few episodes, very exciting. I wasn't a lone voice, but many people disagreed with me. Luther felt like it was better received in the US, where it aired on BBC America -- perhaps because of exoticism? I tend to think quite a few British shows "click" with American critics because their DNA is so different to that of US shows, in ways the UK audience don't care about or notice.