Monday 12 December 2011

British Comedy Awards 2011: Nominations

Monday 12 December 2011

The nominees for the 22nd British Comedy Awards were announced last night. Ahead of the ceremony, broadcast live on Friday 16 December at 9pm on Channel 4, here are my predictions for the winners:

Best Comedy Panel Show

  • Celebrity Juice (ITV2)
  • Have I Got News For You (BBC1)
  • Shooting Stars (BBC2)
  • Would I Lie To You? (BBC1) PREDICTION
My prediction: There's no doubt in my mind that Would I Lie To You? is the funniest panel show around, but HIGNFY remains the most relevant. I'm surprised QI didn't get a nomination.

Best Comedy Entertainment Programme

  • Harry Hill's TV Burp (ITV1) PREDICTION
  • Alan Carr: Chatty Man (Channel 4)
  • An Idiot Abroad (Sky1)
  • Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle (BBC2)
My prediction: Stewart Lee deserves some recognition, but this will probably go to Harry Hill because TV Burp's likely to end early next year. I just hope Idiot Abroad doesn't win.

Best Comedy Drama

  • Comic Strip Presents: The Hunt For Tony Blair (Channel 4)
  • Fresh Meat (Channel 4) PREDICTION
  • Misfits (E4)
  • Psychoville (BBC2)
My prediction: I didn't see The Hunt For Tony Blair, but my gut says Fresh Meat's going to win this. Misfits hasn't been up to its usual standard this year, and Psychoville remains too niche.

Best Comedy Entertainment Personality

  • Alan Carr
  • Charlie Brooker
  • Harry Hill
  • Graham Norton PREDICTION
My prediction: It would be great if Charlie Brooker won, but I think Graham Norton's got this in the bag because his chat show continues to improve.

Best Male TV Comic

  • Charlie Brooker
  • Harry Hill
  • Rob Brydon PREDICTION
  • Stewart Lee
My prediction: I can see Rob Brydon walking away with this.

Best Female TV Comic

  • Jo Brand
  • Sarah Millican PREDICTION
  • Miranda Hart
  • Victoria Wood
My prediction: What has Victoria Wood actually done this year? Sarah Millican's very overexposed, but she may still win. Miranda Hart swept the board last year, and has an impressive four nominations this year, so I think the BCA's will plump for Millican instead.

Best New Comedy Programme

  • Fresh Meat (Channel 4) PREDICTION
  • Friday Night Dinner (Channel 4)
  • Spy (Sky1)
  • Twenty Twelve (BBC3)
My prediction: I have no doubt Fresh Meat will win this, as the only real competition is Friday Night Dinner. If Spy wins I will eat my mouse mat.

Best Comedy Breakthrough Artist

  • Dan Skinner
  • Greg Davies PREDICTION
  • Micky Flanagan
  • Tom Rosenthal
My prediction: Greg Davies has been around for ages as part of We Are Klang, but he certainly broke through this year as a solo act—with lots of panel show appearances, a national stand-up tour, and a role in The Inbetweeners Movie. Micky Flanagan could also win, for similar reasons, but I'm predicting Davies. If Dan Skinner wins for playing Angelos in Shooting Stars, I will scream.

Best Sketch Show

  • Come Fly With Me (BBC1) PREDICTION
  • Horrible Histories (CBBC)
  • The One Ronnie (BBC1)
  • This Is Jinsy (Sky Atlantic)
My prediction: This Is Jinsy isn't a sketch show. Weak category, but I’d give the win to Come Fly With Me.

Best Sitcom

  • Miranda (BBC1)
  • Friday Night Dinner (Channel 4) PREDICTION
  • Peep Show (Channel 4)
  • Twenty Twelve (BBC3)
My prediction: Peep Show was still the best in my eyes, but I can see Friday Night Dinner winning because it's good to reward new things.

Best TV Comedy Actor

  • Darren Boyd PREDICTION
  • Hugh Bonneville
  • Hugh Dennis
  • Jack Whitehall
My prediction: As much as I hated Spy, I hope Darren Boyd wins this. He was the best thing about that horrible show, and was also great in Whites and Dirk Gently recently.

Best TV Comedy Actress

  • Claire Skinner
  • Dawn French
  • Miranda Hart
  • Tamsin Greig PREDICTION
My prediction: Tamsin Greig should win, after her performances in Episodes and Friday Night Dinner, no question.

People's Choice Award For The King Or Queen Of Comedy

  • David Mitchell PREDICTION
  • Graham Norton
  • Jack Whitehall
  • Miranda Hart
  • Jo Brand
  • Sarah Millican
My prediction: The Great British Public will go for David Mitchell, I say.