Friday 16 March 2012

State of the Blog: live-tweeting TWILIGHT

Friday 16 March 2012

Hi, everyone! Just checking in with another State of the Blog post. Sorry there's still less content around here than usual, but I think the blog's in the process of restructuring. I'm not sure what it's turning into, but hopefully something you all still want to visit and get involved with.

I'm still intending to be ruthless about what I choose to review every week, which is why I recently cut Walking Dead and Spartacus loose. (Both are shows I'm watching, but find myself struggling to offer new opinions on.) The good news is I'll probably dip into these shows occasionally, and offer more cumulative thoughts on a half-dozen or so episodes. So stay tuned for some overall thoughts on Walking Dead after this Sunday's finale in the US. I know some people will be happy about that, given the shocking events that have happened recently.

TV shows that fewer critics are reviewing online will probably get preferential treatment, too. This is one reason why I'm covering Dirk Gently and, to a lesser extent, Being Human. I'm not sure what's happening with Fringe, but reviews will probably continue every week... but in the shorter form I started awhile ago.

This may free up time for box-set reviews, reviews of non-scripted TV shows, and a greater variety of posts. We'll have to see. (I have a vague plan to review the remastered Star Trek's first season on Blu-ray, for example. Anyone up for that?) I'm never very good at predicting the future of my own blog, as I'm sure you've guessed by now!

Just know this: for various reasons, I no longer have the time to crank out as many episodic reviews as I used to. This will probably be a good thing in the long run, because the TV I am reviewing will be content I'm truly passionate about.

However, you can read my 140-character missives on various shows via Twitter, if you're so inclined. That's generally the place I'll comment on stuff like Alcatraz and Being Human USA, which would otherwise go ignored here. I also live-tweet bad movies from time to time, such as the recent Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1, which inspired the following tweets:

Bella could name her baby Jacob and that soft-touch Edward would probably go along with it. #twilight

In this movie it's the white men who CAN jump. Tough luck, Native American wolf pack. #twilight

The ironic thing about the safe-sex moral is knowing this is directed by a man whose last name's nearly "condom". #twilight (Bill Condon)

How did this not win an Oscar for best special effects? They made Kristen Stewart look THINNER. Kristen. Stewart. #twilight

CGI werewolves talking telepathically. Its like Narnia, only made by animators who don't like doing mouth movements. #twilight

How and why is a dead man still producing semen? #twilight (There's a sentence I didn't think I'd ever write.)

I bet some animators had a great week doing that "Jacob-werewolf attacks Edward" fantasy shot. #twilight

Did they just forget vampires are supposed to sparkle in the sunlight? The guy's in South America and not a shimmer. #twilight

Bella Cullen is a horrible name. I'd have suggested double-barrelling, but Swan-Cullen sounds like the brutal slaughter of birds. #twilight

The two most miserable people in the history of cinema are partying in Rio. #twilight

It's still raining. Taylor Lautner's taken his shirt off. 55 seconds in. #twilight
So yes, follow me if you found that entertaining. In the meantime, feel free to leave your comments about anything relating to the current state of DMD and my plans for the future. I'll try to answer what I can.