Saturday 2 June 2012

DIRK GENTLY axed by the BBC

Saturday 2 June 2012
I know I'm days behind with this news, but I just wanted to officially mention the demise of BBC4's Dirk Gently after one pilot and three episodes.

A BBC spokeswoman: "We've loved having Dirk on the channel but the license fee freeze means less British drama on BBC4. In future we will focus on the best dramas from around the globe, like The Killing and Borgen, whilst BBC1 and BBC2 become the main homes of original British drama."

So why doesn't the low-budgeted Dirk Gently transfer to BBC2, huh? And, incidentally, does anyone really want BBC4 to become, in essence, BBC Euro? I know the unexpected success of "Nordic noir" has been great to see on UK TV (proving Brits don't mind subtitles provided the plots and acting are strong), but to import European drama rather than make your own doesn't seem fair.

Now, I wouldn't say I'm horrified by this cancellation, because Dirk Gently wasn't a show I was excited by, but it's still a shame. Stephen Mangan, who revealed the news on his Twitter, was really good as the shambolic Dirk, and I enjoyed the four hours it gave us (particularly the 2010 pilot and episode 2 of this year's run, which were both the more science-fiction-y stories).

Can't say I''ll shed a tear over this, but it's always frustrating when a show's potential gets flushed away over financial concerns.