Wednesday 24 October 2012

MSN TV: Sky Living's ELEMENTARY review - 'Pilot' (season 1 premiere)

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Today over at MSN TV, I take another swing at Sherlock Holmes update ELEMENTARY, which premiered in the UK on Sky Living last night. Having had a number of weeks to digest the show, following my original review, has my opinion softened or my ambivalence grown?
Elementary's problem isn't that it's inspired by the BBC's successful Sherlock. The hitch for the CBS series lies closer to home where US television is clogged with too much similar programming. CBS is such a hotbed for quirky procedurals it's remarkable they didn't update Holmes years before the BBC. The US network is just after another glossy P.I show with a ready-made fanbase to exploit, making this The Mentalist with a cultural history. Or, as someone put it on Twitter, "CSI: Sherlock".

Continue reading at MSN TV...