Tuesday 8 January 2013

Poll Result: which was the best Christmas/New Year TV treat this year?

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Last week I asked you to vote for your THREE favourite Christmas/New Year TV shows/specials that aired in the UK. The full results of my poll are below, with quick comments from myself. After 103 votes, it's a fairly surprising result the further down the list you go...

1. Doctor Who – 31.07% - unsurprising but well deserved
2. Downton Abbey – 8.87% - even given how limp it was till the very end?
3. Ripper Street – 6.8% - a shock, considering the widespread negativity

4. The Royle Family – 5.83% - I heard it was rubbish
-5. Him & Her – 4.85% - I wish it had been much better
-5. Miranda – 4.85% - I didn't see it, but it's prime family fun
6. Mr Stink – 4.75% - this deserved a higher ranking
7. Outnumbered – 4.85% - a blind spot of mine, sorry
8. Call the Midwife – 3.88% - I've yet to see one second of it
9. The Snowman & The Snowdog – 3.88% - a shock considering the marketing push
-10. The Girl – 2.91% - I missed it, but heard it was rather weak
-10. Restless – 2.91% - I avoided it after reading bad reviews
-10. Strictly Come Dancing – 2.91% - disposable, silly fun

-11. Friday Night Dinner – 1.94% - pretty average
-11. Superstars – 1.94% - not enough big-name stars
-12. Mrs Brown's Boys – 0.97% - relieved it's so low
-12. Panto! – 0.97% - people watched this?
-12. Room on the Broom – 0.97% - I'd have expected a higher ranking
13. Uncle Wormsley's Christmas – 0% - better luck next time, Sky!

There were only a few "other votes" (one for Channel 4's Mashed and two for Merlin's series finale—which I discounted because it wasn't specifically commissioned for the holiday season.)