Friday 15 February 2013

MSN TV: Sky Atlantic's VEGAS

Friday 15 February 2013

Over at MSN today: I've reviewed VEGAS, which had its UK premiere on Sky Atlantic last night. Regular readers probably don't need to read it, as it's a reworking of the original review I wrote for its US premiere last September on CBS. Unless you want to help the page-hit stats, of course...
I was looking forward to Vegas on account of its arresting premise (outmoded cowboy takes on smooth mob boss), its beautiful setting (1960s Las Vegas), and the fact that The Shield's Michael Chiklis will be locking horns with The Right Stuff's Dennis Quaid. However, this well-made pilot didn't grab me as strongly as I'd hoped. It certainly wasn't bad; oozing style in James Mangold's (3:10 to Yuma) direction, while trying to do something different to other shows of its ilk. However, ultimately the opener just tweaked things we've seen time and time again.

Continue reading at MSN TV...