Wednesday 4 September 2013

Trailer: EASTBOUND & DOWN – season 4

Wednesday 4 September 2013

The fourth and final season trailer for HBO's comedy Eastbound & Down has been released, giving us a taste of what asshole baseball player Kenny Powers (Danny McBride) will be up to this year. I have an odd relationship with this show, which I find interesting. I enjoyed the first season while noting flaws with Kenny's character; the Mexico-set second season just wasn't to my taste, although it had some fun moments (Don Johnson!); and then everything seemed to fall into place for the third season with Kenny mounting a Minor League comeback.

Suddenly the character's bad attitude and the situations just clicked for me; probably because he actually showed signs of growth and became less selfish, while maintaining his arrogance. My concern now is that season 3 ended Kenny's redemption arc, as nobody thought HBO would renew it. But they did, so now we have an unexpected fourth season. Hopefully this won't be seen as a huge mistake in hindsight, but the possibility of a fourth season as strong as the hilarious third makes me happy. The embedded trailer certainly looks good.

Eastbound & Down returns to HBO on 29 September, and to Fox UK on 3 October 2013