Thursday 17 October 2013

GLEE to end after sixth season. The fat lady's clearing her throat.

Thursday 17 October 2013

Fox's musical high school comedy Glee is drawing to an end, with co-creator Ryan Murphy confirming next year's sixth season will be its last.

Ryan Murphy, speaking at a Paley Center event in Los Angeles:
"The final year of the show, which will be next year, was designed around Rachel and Cory [Monteith]/Finn's story. I always knew that, I always knew how it would end. I knew what the last shot was--he was in it. I knew what the last line was--she said it to him. So when a tragedy like that happens you sort of have to pause and figure out what you want to do, so we're figuring that out now. I have a good idea. I'm going to tell the studio and the network [in a week] how after Cory's unfortunate passing we can end the show that I think is very satisfactory. And kind of in his honour, which I love."
I haven't watched Glee weekly in over a year now, and my interest began to wane halfway through season 2. The novelty of the cast singing covers of famous hits could only keep it going for so long, and no amount of hilarious Jane Lynch put-downs could keep me watching. It's a shame the show never wrote its character like genuine people, with maybe a few exceptions. It became impossible to stay invested in their silly lives, as they were very obviously puppets being yanked in several directions with little thought about plausibility and sensible arcs. The fact some of the character's graduated, but the show wasn't brave enough to completely move on from its original line-up (Skins-style) was also damaging. I actually think Monteith's sad passing was the least of its issues, from a purely creative standpoint. Was the Rachel/Finn relationship really that integral?

I'm just amazed they'll have managed to keep Glee around for six years, and maintained enough of a fan-base to keep it profitable. Do people still buy the songs on iTunes?

[source: TV Line]