Tuesday 12 August 2014

RIP Robin Williams (1951-2014)

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Another comedy great has left the stage, and this one hurts deep because Robin Williams was still bringing a lot of fun and entertainment to the world at the age of 63, and it appears he chose to commit suicide after an intense period of depression (although this hasn't been officially confirmed at time of writing). I'm sure you've read lots of articles and obituaries already, but I'd just like to add my own brief condolence.

I won't pretend I found Robin Williams particularly influential growing up, but I have always found him to be a very charming and engaging performer. I actually place higher value on him as a straight dramatic actor, in movies like Dead Poet's Society, The Fisher King, Awakenings, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo, and Insomnia. But I did love his more comedic turns in TV's Mork & Mindy, Hook, Aladdin, and Mrs Doubtfire. Plus he was always a fantastic interviewee on various chat shows through the years.

His performances have been captured on camera to be enjoyed by countless generations to come, buy my heart goes out to the people who really knew him as the complicated man he evidently was. Hopefully anyone going through similar problems with depression and addiction, will use his passing as inspiration to get the help that's out there.

RIP, Robin.