Friday 21 September 2007

Blogging immediacy and review schedule

Friday 21 September 2007
I'm not sure if I should review Heroes season 2 after its US airings next week. According to stats, the majority of people visiting DMD are British, so I should assume season 2 reviews will be major spoilers for BBC/Sci-Fi viewers.

I'd hate to spoil people's fun, so should I wait for BBC2 to air season 2? The Beeb are half-way through season 1 now, but I doubt they'll continue straight into season 2. It's more like they'll wait until spring 2008, at the very earliest.

But I can't write and sit on reviews for that long! Blogs are supposed to be about immediate commentary. It was incredibly frustrating being ahead of UK Prison Break and BSG fans earlier this year! I was reviewing episodes that most of you wouldn't see for two months.

Even today, I have all my reviews of John From Cincinnati yet to roll-out. I'm just waiting to see if that HBO show ever gets a UK airing!*

Of course, UK readers of a blog like this are likely be people who download stuff over the internet anyway -- which eliminates the problem. Thanks to the web, the world can be TV-synched.

Okay, I've decided -- I'm going to stay true to the spirit of "see it, blog it". So if the UK are more than a month behind the US, I'll review stuff to the US schedule. So expect reviews of Dexter's second season well in advance of its UK premiere, folks!

I think that's fair, don't you? I just want to cater to a wide audience, but without alienating the majority and having the blog look too old-hat.

So the schedule, although nothing's ever set in stone, is:

Mondays:
Undecided.

Tuesdays:
Dexter s2 (begins 30 Sep in US, Showtime)
Dirt s1 (ends 1 Oct, FiveUS)
Prison Break s3 (begins 24 Sep in UK, Sky One)

Wednesdays:
Heroes s2 (begins 24 Sep, NBC)
The Sarah-Jane Adventures s1 (begins 24 Sep, BBC1)

Thursdays:
Flight Of The Conchords (begins 25 Sep, BBC Four)

Fridays:
Saxondale s2 (end 27 Sep, BBC2)
Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip (ends 6 Dec, More4)

Saturdays:
The IT Crowd s2 (ends 29 Sep, Channel 4)

Sundays:
The X Factor (occasional / ends Dec 07, ITV)
John From Cincinnati (posthumous US reviews, HBO)


* Actually, I've now decided this is unlikely (given its poor performance and cancellation in the US), so expect JFC reviews every Sunday -- for the belated-enjoyment of Americans and the bafflement of Brits!